Best answer

Featured image not posting to Facebook page from custom post type in WordPress

• 20 February 2023
  • 16 replies

Hello,

I am trying to set up a new Zap. I want, if a user posts a new post from a custom post type, then the zap will just post the featured image into a facebook page.

The problem is that the featured image doesn’t posted into the fb page. What I am doing wrong?

icon

Best answer by Jillian 24 February 2023, 17:35

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

16 replies

The photo’s size is under 4MB and .jpg file type

Any ideas???

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @imrk, welcome to the Community!

I understand that you’re looking to get help as soon as possible, but please don’t try to ‘bump’ your thread by replying to it - it makes it harder for us to help you and other members of the Community. Thank you! 😊

Is the link to the image in WordPress publicly accessible? Can you open the image if you’re not logged into your WordPress account? Also, the link needs to be to just an image and not a page that hosts the image. Could either of those be the issue here?

Thanks!

Hello Danvers!

Thank you for your answer. The link is what is, as it appears on the screenshot. “Links WP Featuredmedia Href” but it gives a URL with a .json extension at the end. I do not understand why, but the direct URL of the image is not an option. The URL with the .json extension yes it is accessible publicly.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hey @imrk!

Any chance the image you’re trying to pull is in a picture grid, carousel, image array, or something like that? The JSON makes me think the link you’re trying to grab is the whole visual presentation, not just the image itself.

You should be able to get to that specific image URL if you use “Inspect Element” on the image grid/carousel/array/etc. It’s a bit tough to explain in just a few sentences, so I’d really recommend googling “How do I copy an image URL from inspect element?” as there are tons of resources out there that will do this much better justice than I!

Hi Jillian! Thank you for your reply!

Definitely not a grid, carousel or an image array. It is just the featured image of a custom post type as it is appears in the first question post above.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hey @imrk. I just did a bit more digging and it appears that featured images are still treated like grid, carousels, and image arrays. I am definitely no Wordpress pro at all, so I’d recommend doing some searches for “wordpress featured image url” as that should help you get what you need.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

A quick follow up. I was just chatting with some of my more knowledgable peers and they suggested 2 different workarounds:

First up is using a webhook step to pull the URL to the image. Here’s a post from another user who was working through the same thing: 

Alternatively, you could manually get the URL of the image from within Wordpress at the time of making the post and add that into a custom field that isn’t displayed on the site. We should be able to see the custom fields on the Zapier side so you’d be able to select the custom field and keep on going!

Thank you Jillian! It seems to be both great solutions. I tried the first one successfully! I want to try the second and come back into the thread with my conclusion, in order to have a full answer to similar future questions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Amazing! So stoked to hear the first option worked for you, @imrk

And we’d love that! Keep us posted. 🙂

Hello again! Yes the first option worked like a charm! But I have to buy a premium service in order Webhooks to work. The second solution doesn’t work, because I have to enter manually into every post in a custom field the URL of the Featured Image. I did not found a way to make it automatically yet, when a post is been created by a user.

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I was just chatting with some of my more knowledgable peers and they suggested 2 different workarounds:

First up is using a webhook step to pull the URL to the image. Here’s a post from another user who was working through the same thing: 

Alternatively, you could manually get the URL of the image from within Wordpress at the time of making the post and add that into a custom field that isn’t displayed on the site. We should be able to see the custom fields on the Zapier side so you’d be able to select the custom field and keep on going!

Hi @imrk! 👋

So sorry to hear those workarounds aren’t going to be viable options for you here. We’ve got a feature request open for the WordPress app to return the full URL for the image file so I’ve gone ahead and added your vote to that. I can’t make any promises as to when that will be sorted but we’ll notify you by email as soon as it is. 

In the meantime, there aren’t any other known workarounds other than the ones Jillian mentioned. We’ll be keeping the main topic for this feature request up to date with any news or workarounds so I’d recommend subscribing to that topic to be kept in the loop on any changes! 🙂

Hello

You can fix this problem by clearing the page cache in WordPress. After that, you need to reset the cache in Facebook using their debug tool. The Facebook debug tool is the easiest way to troubleshoot Facebook,run troubleshoot it detect issue and fix it.

Hello

You can fix this problem by clearing the page cache in WordPress. After that, you need to reset the cache in Facebook using their debug tool. The Facebook debug tool is the easiest way to troubleshoot Facebook,run troubleshoot it detect issue and fix it.

Thank you for your answer! But I have tried this before. No results.

Just having the same problem, and yesterday when trying with the Instagram post. So basically, for what I read here, is the Zap action from Wordpress that doesn’t pull the featured image url. That is a bummer because is one if not the main reason to use the zap at all. It is nonsense to have this zap without the option to pull the image from Wordpress. 

Hope it gets solved soon, this would help my team and so many other people soooooo much! 

thnx

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @ProgVan! 👋

Sorry to hear this is affecting your workflows as well. I’ve already added you to the list of folks interested in having the url for the featured image returned. Can’t make any promises as to when/if this will be implemented by but we’ll definitely let everyone here know as soon as it is.

In the meantime, in the interest of keeping things organised I’m going to close out this thread so we can keep track of all folks interested in that feature request in the main topic here: 

For anyone who comes across this post and wants to be added, please reach out on that other thread to have your vote added for this feature request too! 🙂