Question

Failed to create a conversation in ChatGPT Not enough tokens available to send the assistant message and the user message

• 8 December 2023
  • 7 replies

I’m having this issue trying to create the create a chatgpt conversation option.

I have an api account with my payment method connected.

Purchased 5€ in credits just to try it and that should be more than enough.

Is a chat gpt plus also necessary? Now is closed to new subscriptions, so I can’t do that.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @vbnie,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

That's the sort of message you'd get when you've run out of tokens in your ChatGPT account. You can read more about how tokens are used here: https://help.openai.com/en/articles/4936856-what-are-tokens-and-how-to-count-them

If you have a lot of usage, you'll run out of tokens quickly. Any requests you send to ChatGPT, including testing Zap steps with the ChatGPT app, will count towards that usage.

Hopefully, this helps.

I keep getting the exact same message but I have a Chat GPT paid account and hardly even use it. I shouldn’t be “out of tokens.” Any advice for me?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Adam Sylvester,

I think the issue we might be facing here is with the “Max Tokens” field. Can I get you to reduce the Max token field to under the specific step to 4096 tokens? 

My hunch is that your account only has access to GPT 3.5 at the moment which has a limit for 4096 tokens. In this case, you may want to discuss how to get access to GPT-4 for API usage with OpenAI.

You can read more about this here:

https://help.openai.com/en/articles/7102672-how-can-i-access-gpt-4

Please note having access to GPT-4 in OpenAI/ChatGPT and accessing it through APIs is two different things, so even if you're able to access it through the app directly, you might not be able to do so through the app.

Userlevel 1

Hi, we’re having the same issue - same error message. We have plenty of credit in our OpenAI account. I adjusted the Max Tokens field to 4096 but still get the same error message. Any other ideas? We’re using GPT 3.5 to create draft emails in Gmail.

From the testing I’ve done, It seems to be related to the length of the Open AI Prompt in the Zap… but we’ve shortened our prompt as much as we can whilst keeping it usable… (2540 characters)… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @the BECOMING,

You might want to try reducing what you’re sending into a smaller chunks before passing it the ChatGPT action. You’d to use a Formatter Split Text into Chunks for AI Prompt action. More about that here: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/15406374106765-Modify-large-data-for-your-AI-prompts

Hopefully, this helps.

Userlevel 1

Thanks, that’s really helpful, and also what Zapier suggested when they responded to our support request. We’re using a Zap to summarise the email first, then passing the summarised email through the prompt. It’s not ideal but seems to be working! Thank you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That’s an amazing news @the BECOMING! I’m glad to hear that we we’re able to help you out.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗