Best answer

Facebook Page: Update Profile Pic error msg (#283) pages_manage_metadata permission

• 20 December 2022
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hello, I am trying to update a Facebook Page's profile pic and am getting the following error:

Failed to create a change page profile photo in Facebook Pages

(#283) Requires pages_manage_metadata permission to manage the object

...which is odd, cuz I own the page. Any suggestions on how to configure things so this FB Pages action works properly?

Context: when a photo is posted to the page, I would like to update the page's profile pic with the newly posted pic.

The action's settings:

I have tried the various image options from the trigger, and they all get the same error msg :\

Thanks 🙂

icon

Best answer by mixelpix 2 January 2023, 17:21

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

14 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

For what it is worth, the FB Pages connection appears to be in good standing 🤷‍♂️

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @mixelpix sorry for the trouble here! I did find another thread where something similar was happening with another user: 

I know it’s a different error but the troubleshooting steps are likely the same. Mind double-checking the steps provided in the answer of that post to see if it helps? Let us know how things turn out for you - we want to make sure this gets sorted out!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi @jesse

Thank you - I am going through that doc and indeed I do think this is something with the FB side of things.

I believe the post was written before the FB >» Meta change and I am having difficulty finding the “Business Integrations.”  I thought it might be here:

but I’m new to Meta/FB bsns ...any chance you know where I might find the contemporary “BSBS Integrations”?

Thanks again :) 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

promising:

https://leadsbridge.com/blog/facebook-business-integrations/#2-how-to-manage-your-business-integrations-on-facebook-

https://www.facebook.com/business/help/2199735813629697?id=420299598837059

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

huh…

… I think I have things configured in Zapier w/my personal account… this is all so confusing :(

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

K - found it

everything is “on” for the page I am working with (the OpenAI one, not the “more art” page).

Of note: the “Business Integrations” page is now found under “Settings > Security and login” for the owner of the page (i.e. not while logged in as the page)

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Appears good to go… 🤞🍀

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@jesse  bupkis :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @mixelpix!

I see that you’ve reached out to our wonderful Support team and that they’ve responded to you just today (about an hour and a half ago, actually).

Can you take a look at what they’ve recommended, to see if that helps?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi @nicksimard, yes, I have now for the fourth time answered all the same questions & detailed the same process resulting in a failure of the Facebook Pages “Change Page Profile Picture” action without getting any insight or actionable analysis.  Thanks for checking in.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @mixelpix - thanks for continuing to keep the thread updated.

I’m sorry you’re still blocked on this but appreciate you working with the support team to get to the bottom of it. To avoid restating your efforts, I’d recommend continuing the troubleshooting process there as they’ll have a bit more insight to pull your zaps and logs. Also feel free to always share links to your community topics with the support team to share up front some of the troubleshooting steps you’ve taken thus far! 🙂

Thanks again for your continued patience!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi @christina.d

Thanks for checking in.  To be fair, it is great that Zapier provides technical support even when dealing with issues from free tier clients.  To be honest, the customer experience of this support, however, is not so great.  It would help a lot, for example, to have a ticket number to refer to.  Especially so because in my experience, every time I interact with tech support via e-mail, I am dealing with someone new.  If there were a ticket to refer to, then at the very least as a customer, I would have something consistent to refer to.  My experience so far has been that each time I get a message from someone, they are asking me to repeat the things the last person just got a response to.  I appreciate that this makes for more confirmation of the behavior being worked out, but it feels very scattershot and unorganized with little positive momentum towards actionable resolve.
    Best,

- Patrick

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Huge shoutout to @BreetelGraves for figuring out a solution:

I think that the Facebook pages isn't properly requesting the correct permission when connecting, however, in my tests following this hack works:

1. First, create a brand new app connection for the  Facebook Lead Ad integration (not the Facebook Pages integration)- when doing so, you should see the following pop up window make sure all these options are selected: https://cdn.zappy.app/6a66ce26ce52e9618287b60444ab1426.mp4
  2. If you don't see that same pop up window when connecting, you may need to completely disconnect Zapier from within Facebook first. You can do that by going here: https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=business_tools&ref=settings then removing Zapier. 
  3. After connecting Facebook Lead Ads, go back to your Zap and choose to connect a new account for Facebook Pages. This time, you may not see the pop-up window, and thats expected. 
  4. Retry the Change Profile Photo action

Can you give those steps a try?

Thanks also to Andrew Gosnell, Christian Biacan, Carlito Sumayang, Warren Carpio, and “Ken.”

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@christina.d 

I did not mean to mark your answer as the best answer, can it be undone please?  There is an actual answer I posted from Zapier support which does solve the problem, and I would like to mark that as the best answer.  Thanks!