Question

Can't specify filename as output of previous filter action

• 2 September 2023
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is a seemlingly simple zap intended to move and rename an email attachment, but the renaming isn’t working. I'm probably making a dumb mistake. Maybe I’m missing an action that converts the segment ID to a usable output?

1 New Inbound Email in Email by Zapier
2 Text Formatter 

• Input 1: Subject
  • Separator
  • Segment index 1 (this contains a job number)

3 Upload File in Dropbox

• File 1. Attachment 
  • Specify File Name (the only choice for step 2 is ID:1) ID:1 job type

The resulting file name is just the job type and I can’t figure out how to get the job number in automatically. 

Thanks for your help.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @jacob-DAS 

Good question.

To help us have full context, please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks a lot!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jacob-DAS 

The provided screenshots are too small and blurry to see the details.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sorry, oddly the middle screenshot detached.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sorry, I’ll zoom in & upload more of them

Userlevel 1
Badge

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jacob-DAS 

Check your Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each step to help you troubleshoot.

https://zapier.com/app/history/

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks, I fixed it but I’m wondering if I found a pretty annoying glitch.

I looked at the Zap Runs and didn't see anything obvious.

So, figuring the old “turn it off and back on” trick might work, I deleted the final action (Dropbox) and then added it back in. It still didn’t work, but after several test runs, I suddenly got “2: output” as an option instead of just “2:  ID”. It just appeared, without me selecting it even, in the “Specify File Name” field. So, now the zap works.

I’m thinking it’s a glitch. I’m 100% certain the “2: output” option was not there earlier. I tried fixing it and testing it many times.

I had this happen with another zap last week, but I figured I just had the screen sized incorrectly and didn’t see “output” as an option at first. I know this wasn’t the case with this zap. 

Has anyone else had this issue? Do you just reach out to support? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jacob-DAS 

If you have a Zapier paid plan, you can open a ticket with Zapier Support: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you