Question

Authentication failed: Could not handle special characters like "…". Please contact support.

• 6 February 2024
  • 3 replies

I’m getting this error when connecting to Zendesk:
Authentication failed: Could not handle special characters like "…". Please contact support.

I have connect to Sandbox version of Zendesk with no issues.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @James_Buist 

Zendesk help articles to reference: https://zapier.com/apps/zendesk/help

About Zendesk’s Integration

• Admin/owner permissions - You need to connect using a Zendesk user who is an administrator and have API access enabled.
  • Paid/versioned account - A Zendesk Team or higher plan can be used with the Zendesk integration.

Trouble connecting Zendesk Account/Authorization Failed

Failed attempts to connect your Zendesk account to Zapier are usually because the account being connected isn't an admin account inside of Zendesk.
You'll need to make sure you're connecting using a Zendesk user who is also an administrator for this to work.

It is also possible you have API access disabled inside Zendesk.
To turn it on, go to your API Channel Settings (Channels > API) and enable the API.

Thank you for your quick response. I am an admin on our Zendesk account and using my own account to connect to it.
We have multiple API’s being used against Zendesk so they’re certainly not disabled. I belelive the API call is working as within Zendesk I can see the API being called as the last used datetime changes when I try and connect.

Any additional thoughts @Troy Tessalone?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @James_Buist,

It looks like you’ve reached out to our Support Team about this and they replied today with a suggestion. I’ll share details of the suggestion here in case it’s helpful:

Thanks for writing in, I'll be happy to assist you.

Based on what you've described, it seems like you're encountering an error when trying to connect your Zendesk Live instance to Zapier due to some special characters such as "★".

This error could be caused by non-alphanumeric characters in your Zendesk Live instance password or username. Here's what you can do:

1. Check your username and password for any special characters. Also, check the names of any accounts or inboxes

2. If present, change them to alphanumeric characters.

3. Try connecting to Zapier again.

If you're still facing the issue, it would be helpful if you could provide a screenshot fo the connection settings and the Zendesk homepage.

Please let me know once you've had a chance to review the above; I'd be happy to take a further look and assist in any way I can.

If you’ve got any questions regarding their suggestion it would be best to continue the conversation with them over email. If you can’t locate their reply I’d recommend searching your spam/junk folder or searching your inbox for any emails from zapier.com in case. Sometimes their emails can end up in the spam/junk folder by accident.