Any Apple Music fans out there?

• 21 November 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Just found this... looks cool:

r/zapier - Apple Music Zapier integration

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

This looks very cool, thanks for sharing @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu.

I left the Apple ecosystem a while back so I don't use Apple music, but that looks like a lot of fun for folks who do use it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

We don’t permit developers who don’t own the API to go public with their integration.

I can also imagine that Apple wouldn't allow a dev to create a 'music connector' for Apple that essentially encourages folks to use products that aren't Apple based.

This one will have to stay Invite only, sorry about that!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

There are a few reasons why we don’t let integrations not owned by the app partner to go public, but a big one is because of maintenance.

We have previously allowed integrations to be public if they weren't created by the owner of the app/API but found that it was too difficult to support those integrations. Developers not associated with the API didn't provide the level of communication and support that we needed to keep our users happy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Danvers - quick policy question for you.

I’ve been chatting to the person who made this. Obviously, without a formal relationship with Apple, this could never get published in the public directory. But what if they made their own app, with its own API that happened to connect with Apple’s API to do all the same stuff (and assuming that’s not against Apple’s dev rules) - would they be able to get that integration published assuming they renamed it to something non-copyright infringing like “Music Connector”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

What’s the thinking on that ownership restriction by the way?

I feel that apps create APIs for the sole reason of letting people do stuff like build integrations.

Now there are cases where the apps won’t want to build their own integration, Zapier won’t want to either, and if an enthusiastic 3rd party wants to do it... they can, but it will stay in invite-only purgatory. Seems a less than ideal outcome for all.

I could see the reasoning if people were selling access to their integration - that’s been disallowed - but in this case I’m just confused.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Makes sense @Danvers - thanks for clarifying.