Question

Looking for a way to set dictionary keys from API query

• 9 April 2024
  • 1 reply

I see that using a `dict: true` input field allows me to set have the value of each dictionary item set based on dynamic data from a previous trigger. What I’d like to do is have the dictionary key field populate from the results of an API call to my database. In my database I can define the custom attributes field types. I’d like to be able to click into the key field and choose from a dynamic dropdown of API results (if any are retrieved) rather than having to type in the value. 

Is there a way to have the “key” field populate from a trigger or search step? I’ve seen similar questions asked about this and some of the answers suggested using a dynamic inputField instead. Would that allow me to provide a list of Form Field names for the key AND dynamic contact data for the value?

Also I can’t add predefined keys as we don’t know what the custom attribute will be or how many there will be.

Dictionary input field with value data dynamically supplied from trigger

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ryan8052717 

Help article about how to map dynamic variables between Zap steps using the ‘CUSTOM’ option: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/set-up-your-zap-action

If you need more help, post screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured along with a specific example to give us more context.