Skip to main content

I would like to know if anyone can help me with Zapier - Slack automation with recurring messages and auto-populated threads with replies.

What I’m trying to achieve:

1. Send recurring messages to a Slack channel every morning at 9am. 
  2. Auto-populated threads with multiple replies every time a new message is sent to the channel from #1 automation. 

So far, I’ve got #1 set up and a portion of #2. The problem is, when I use the timestamp to auto-populate threads, it only uses timestamp from the selected message, meaning it won’t populate under new messages.

So I tried to select message instead of timestamp, and have it find the newest message hoping that then it will find the new message every morning. but now it’s giving me errors that it cannot find the right value. 

It would be great to chat or talk with someone who can guide me step by step.

Thank you so much!

Hi there @jamesparkerse,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Before we dig deeper into this, would you mind sharing a detailed screenshot of how your Zap is configured? Also, please share a screenshot of the “Action” section of your action steps that shows all of its fields. Like so:

46dd6c0979e3d815d621b8da43084ef1.png
(view larger)

Please don't include personal information in the screenshot, or be sure blur out any personal information.

Thanks!

Here are the screenshots! There are two selections for 4. Send Channel Message - Thread which is where I’m having troubles. When I select the timestamp, it sends the thread replies but only to the same message (from the time stamp) but when I select the message text, it cannot find anything. Ideally I want to find/locate the message that is the newest and populate the threads on the newest one. (It’s the same recurring messages everyday)

Thank you for the help!

Hi there @jamesparkerse,

Thanks for the screenshots and additional details.

I can see that the setup of your 3rd step is incorrect. Could you please try removing the mapped data on the “Sort By” field and choose the correct data in the dropdown field? Like so:

bba8fe3ba25e03ae62e8b8201845d6f7.png
(view larger)

a94cff97bbe07cc3da54bdb5e2f0123c.png
(view larger)

Additionally, the “Search Query” field looks for the message. I believe it’s best to map the Text data from 2nd step to that field instead of the Bot Profile Name data.

Also, the “Thread” field in the “Send Channel Message” (4th step) looks for the Ts data from the “Find Message” step (3rd step).

Kindly give it a try and let me know how it goes? I'll keep an eye out for your response!

1. I updated the Search Query to Message Text [No data] and there was errors
  2. so I changed the Search Query to Message Blocks Elements Elements Text but still showing errors 
  3. I updated the Sort By to Match Strength. Unsure if I should use the other one.

My general question is -- is my goal attainable? Is it possible to send recurring messages every week day and auto-populate threads with replies on new messages every day? If so, can we set up a time to chat through real time?

Thank you so much for your support!

Hi @jamesparkerse,

Thanks for the update here.

Unfortunately, folks here at the Community doesn’t aren’t able to jump into chat. However, if you’re in a paid plan we have a live chat support. You can learn more about our support options here: https://zapier.com/l/support

With that said, I have tried to replicate your workflow on my end and I have hit a roadblock as well. With this, if you want a more personal help with your Zap I recommend reaching out to our Zapier Experts. We have a directory of certified Zapier Experts that can help with your workflow here: https://zapier.com/experts

Hopefully, this helps and I appreciate your patience and understanding.