Question

Xlsx from Gmail to an existing google sheet tab

• 22 March 2022
  • 8 replies

I have a similar question to this post. I have done the update file and now have an xlsx file within google drive. 

I am wondering how or if it is possible to take that information and copy and paste that information and overwrite a specific tab of an existing google sheet. 

For background. I get an xlsx file emailed to me daily, I am not able to get it in any other form. I want to take that overwrite that information over the existing information in a specific tab on a google sheet. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @josephlcox17 

Good question.

Would this Zap trigger work for you: GDrive Replace File

Thanks for your quick response @Troy Tessalone . Currently I have the “Replace File” I do have in place, I misspoke and said update file. 

With this is in place, I am not sure where to go next and/or if this is the right first step. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@josephlcox17 

Here’s a help article about how to use Files in Zaps: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/send-files-in-zaps

Try these Zap steps:

1. Trigger: Gmail - New Attachment
  2. Action: Filter (for XLS)
  3. Action: GDrive - Replace File
    1. Map the file object from Step 1

@Troy Tessalone I have that in place, and the xlsx file is being replaced within my google drive. 

I do want to take the xlsx file and overwrite data on a different google sheet, on a specific tab, I have. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@josephlcox17 

With the GSheets Zap, there is no action to replace a Worksheet.

There are actions to Create Worksheet and Create Row(s).

@Troy Tessalone Thank you. You are saying that it is not possible, is that correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@josephlcox17 

You’d have to programmatically find all the rows with data and delete that data first, which via a Zap would use a lot of Tasks and is not something I’d advise.

@Troy Tessalone Thank you for your responses!