Best answer

How to import XLSX to Google Sheets

• 18 April 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi There,

I’m hoping to solve a very similar issue to this post, but with xlsx files instead of csv’s. 

Essentially, I get regular emails with xlsx attachments that I would like to take and put the entire contents of the xlsx file into a google sheet, overwriting the sheet whenever there is a new email with this attachment. 

My first step: I have the trigger as Gmail receiving a new email matching a certain rule that I’ve created, and the event as finding the data in the all_attachments.  I’m trying to work with the Formatter from there, but I am not getting anywhere.

Any help is appreciated!

William 

icon

Best answer by nicksimard 24 April 2020, 02:23

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @williamch ,

Thanks for reaching out and apologies on the delay in responding!

To help me better understand, could you share a bit more about your workflow? Curious if we could possibly sidestep a Formatter step and go directly to GoogleSheets or perhaps even look into leveraging Mailparser to extract this data from your emails. 

Look forward to hearing back from you!

Userlevel 1

@Liz_Roberts , thanks for the reply. 

Sure, here’s a detailed break down (it’s pretty simple):

1. Receive weekly email with inventory data attached in xlsx file format 
  2. download the data
  3. copy into Google Sheets where I can reference the up-to-date inventory in my internal supply models 

So, I’d like to automate the process of opening the email, downloading the attachment, and copying the data into my google sheet. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @williamch!

One way you could try to tackle this is to use Google Drive’s Replace File action. So you could trigger on receiving that email, and try to upload the xlsx file to Google Drive, replacing the existing file. 

I’m not 100% sure it will work the way you want, but I think it’s the simplest to try as a first-pass. Are you currently receiving this email somewhere that you can add as a trigger in Zapier (like Gmail, Office 365, etc)?

Userlevel 1

@nicksimard , thanks for your help!

This strategy will allow me to accomplish what I was trying to. 

Much appreciated,

William 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

HI @williamch!

Glad to hear that my suggestion helped :)