Best answer

WordPress 401 “authentication failed: WordPress ran into an issue” error

• 26 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi, I’m trying to connect Wordpress to Zapier. I’ve installed and activated the Zapier plugin to wordpress. I have followed the instruction of deactivating plugins. I go to log in to my Wordpress on Zapier, and I get the following error:

We hit an error adding your new account

authentication failed: WordPress ran into an issue. Error code 401: Authentication failed.

1. Make sure you click "Allow" or "Accept" on the permission popup
  2. Double check your Account has the correct permissions
  3. Check out our help docs for more information
icon

Best answer by SamB 26 November 2021, 16:47

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community, @Beyond The Moves! :)

Hmm, with this kind of 401 error its sometimes insufficient permissions that can cause problems with connecting. 

Does the WordPress user account you’re connecting to have admin permissions? If not, can you try connecting to an administrator WordPress account instead to see if that then allows you to connect successfully?

Yes I have admin permission

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for clarifying that, @Beyond The Moves.  

If it’s not a lack of permissions or a security plugin of some kind that’s preventing Zapier from connecting to the account, then it may be an issue with a firewall that’s blocking the connection. If you do have a firewall enabled you’ll want to double-check that its not set up to block Zapier connections.

Something else that may be worth trying here is to create a new admin user account specifically for the purpose of connecting with Zapier. Can you give that a try and let us know how that goes? You can find more details on how to do that here: Creating a user account for Zapier