Question

We didn't retry Zap has changed too much -- Is there a solution to rerun fixed zaps?

• 19 October 2021
  • 1 reply

Is there a solution for rerunning Zaps where the "Zap has changed too much"? 

Context

We had an error in one of our Zaps which kept turning the Zap off both silently and completely. I have since identified the problem, but spend many many hours redoing the end of my Zap path and otherwise trying to identify the problem. 

As a consequence, I have a list of several hundred rows of data which I want to pass on to my end point, but which are currently labeled as "Stopped - Error".  I also have several thousand rows of data that were filtered out and which I don't want to rerun. 

I want to rerun all the "Stopped - Error" Zaps because that data is valuable to me, but when I rerun those Zaps I get a message "We couldn't retry [this] because the Zap has changed too much."

What I did 

• [Attempt to fix that I can't seem to roll back] I removed and re-added the "create ticket in [endpoint repository software]" step of my Zap, since that's where the problem seemed to be. It is identical, insofar as I can tell, to the original. 
  • [Actual solution] I changed a field type from multi-select to text input in my endpoint database software, fixing the root cause of the error.

Comments

• If a Zap fails of course I'll try to fix it. In that case, I'd like to have the option to rerun the Zap from the point where I imported the data, even if the Zap itself looks quite different. 
    • I've needed this 3 times before. 
  • Otherwise, I'd like a way to revert back to the earlier version of my Zap. (In my case, the problem was actually in the endpoint software, not in Zaper, but it took me a while to figure that out.) 
  • "Invalid field" isn't a hugely helpful error message when I have 15 fields and no idea what is invalid about one of them. Took me ages to remove each one individually and restart the Zap each time. 
  • [Separate feedback] It would be fabulous if we had the option to display data from any given relatively complete row of data we import. I know I miss a lot of rows on a given random data row. I'm using the preview to know if the field content is correctly aligned - e.g. if we have several columns for different dates I want to ensure the date I'm using is the right one, or if there are several fields for email, I want to make sure I'm using right one. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @uxresearcher 

Check out this article:

You can export your Zap History: https://zapier.com/help/manage/history/export-your-zap-history

Feedback and feature requests can be submitted via Zapier Support: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

The returned error messages (invalid field) are usually from the app not the Zap.