Best answer

Trigger when new user joins Slack shared channel?

• 19 May 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m trying to use the New User in Slack trigger to alert me when new users from other teams join a shared channel. I’ve set up the Zap, but I’m unclear if this will actually trigger when a new user joins a Shared Channel instead of a regular channel. Can anyone clarify this for me? 

icon

Best answer by steph.n 6 July 2020, 19:50

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @alextapper!

I’m actually not sure about this one. Have you had a chance to test this out with a live Zap to see if it will trigger? I don’t have a shared channel that I can test with. I checked with my team here but was not able to get a definitive answer. I do know that non-team users in a shared channel won't show up in the Users dropdown using the Send Direct Message action. So maybe there may be a similar limitation for New User. If you’ve got a way to test, that would be ideal :)

Userlevel 1

Hey @nicksimard -- I don’t think it works. I don’t have a great way to confirm the negative in this situation, but we have >100 shared channels with lots of activity and new sign-ups. Unfortunately, the only zaps that have been triggered from this trigger are new users to our slack team (as well as guests). 

If anyone reading this from the internet future finds a way to get notifications when users from other slack teams join shared channels, please reply :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi there @alextapper,

It’s been a while but we wanted to check back on this issue. Do you have a team or trusted users in your Slack instance that could react to a user when they join a shared channel? From there, you could set up a Zap that triggers when a New Reaction Added to a public channel by only specific admins/moderators (Filter by Zapier works great for this) within your team then for the Zap to fire off as a Send Direct Message action to whomever you wish from there. Yes, I realize that it’s a little more manual and it’s possible to miss if it’s dependent on human-interaction but it could be disguised as a wonderful community engagement method to have users feel welcomed by seeing an emoji reaction to their message when they join. 

Please let us know how we may help!