Best answer

Searching Gmail to create a digest only once a day - not on every email/interval

• 11 May 2023
  • 3 replies

I would like to create a digest from all gmail emails left unread at the end of the day, but I want that search firing about once a day. Not on every received email (or every 15 minutes; it’s not clear to me what the interval is).

This is the current set-up that works but runs too frequently:

1. Gmail: New Email Matching Search
  2. Digest: append entry and schedule digest
  3. Slack: send message to channel

But is too sensitive because it:

1. doesn’t account for older emails that were actually handled throughout the day.
  2. adds every new email to the digest which consumes way too many Zaps!

I tried using the “Schedule” Zap as the first step, but it doesn’t permit “New Email Matching Search in Gmail” as an event as the next step in the pipeline.

Is there a way to just run this search once a day and report on it?

icon

Best answer by jesse 12 May 2023, 17:04

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hey there @Codernaut I believe for this use case, Delay by Zapier may be more beneficial for you. Let me know if this helps! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Codernaut! Just stepping in for Chanelle here. It looks like in order to accomplish this use case, you would need to be able to return multiple emails matching a search term (ie. “unread”) from Gmail. Unfortunately, that’s not possible quite yet in the current Gmail integration. We have a feature request/main community thread open for this here: 

I’ll go ahead and add your vote for this so you’ll be personally notified if/when this becomes available. And if we have any updates in the meantime, we’ll be sure to share them in the linked thread. Cheers!

Thanks @jesse and @chanelle!   I’ll check out what benefits Delay may provide too.