Question

Run Zaps on Google shared drive

• 11 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi team, 

We are a large organization, and we want to create automation that whenever someone in the org is opening a Google doc, we will create a Monday item. Currently, it’s only taking files from my own personal drive. Is this possible? 

Thanks! 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there @AmitMiz, welcome to the Community! 🙂

Which trigger are you using for the Zap? I’m pretty sure shared team drives are supported on the Google Drive app so it should be picking up the other files too. Did you select the team drive when setting up the trigger or leave it blank? 

The help text on the Drive field for Google Drive triggers says “The drive to use. If nothing is selected, then your personal Google Drive will be used...”. So if you left it blank then that could be why it’s only seeing files from your personal drive.

Do you think that could be the case here or did you select the team drive?

Userlevel 1

Hi Sam, 

Thanks for the quick response! So no option for “Team Drive”, or “Shared drive” or anything like that. 

The only options I have are different folders (that are unrelated), or my drive, even though I’m the admin of that Org. Any thoughts? 

Thanks! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi there @AmitMiz , you should see something like this when you’re attaching your Google Drive folders, where you can see the “shared” vs “personal” on the right: 

If you’re not seeing that, it may be worth connecting with your IT team to make sure Zapier is on the approved apps and connecting the account, or checking out the help docs on Google Drive just to make sure there isn’t a step that is being missed: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8495965163405-How-to-Get-Started-with-Google-Drive

Let us know how things shake out and we’re happy to keep helping!

Best,

Rachael

Userlevel 1

Thank you so much! Is there a way to create this automation with the “Shared with me” folder? 

The shared drive is great, but I won’t be catching files created outside that shared drive (if a user is creating a file under his account). Any thoughts? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi there @AmitMiz - you can do that via this action: 

However, this is just going to connect with an individual folder, if shared, meaning that if they added a document to a different shared subfolder it wouldn’t work. In other words, you can’t generally specify any shared folder, but you can specific a specific shared folder, if that makes sense!

Let me know if you have any other questions or if there are any other resources I can help you with! -Rachael