Best answer

Removing line breaks in newly added rows in Google Sheets

• 6 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3

Hello,

Beginner here.

I am looking for an easy way to remove line breaks from a group of cells in newly created Google Sheets rows.

This would need to apply only to specific cells (but a large number of them).

I found I could do it with formatter for a single cell, but I’d like to avoid creating a zap for each specific cell, as there are many that I need to change. I thought of doing it with the Power Tools add-on, but I’m not sure tif his will automatically apply to new rows.

Any help appreciated!

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 6 January 2022, 02:55

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @MTLGuy 

Perhaps you can post screenshots of a specific example to help provide context about the data you are working with, thanks.

Userlevel 3

Hi @Troy Tessalone.

Thanks for the reply.

Here is a screenshot.

The spreadsheet receives data from a JotForm questionnaire, which I then use to populate Word reports via DocuPilot. Each answer from a “multiple text box” question is displayed on its own line in the cell, and it seems there’s no way I can modify that output format in JotForm. Having line breaks creates layout problems for me down the road.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MTLGuy 

You could configure a Zap from Jotform to the GSheet and have helper Formatter steps that replace line breaks.

https://zapier.com/help/create/format/modify-text-formats-in-zaps#find-replace-or-split-special-characters

Userlevel 3

Ok thanks!