Question

Read RSS feed, follow link, edit content with ChatGPT

• 15 March 2024
  • 3 replies

I have an RSS feed that contains an overview of current news. The RSS feed has a URL to the article. I can integrate the feed into Zapier and read the fields correctly. I then thought that I would simply tell ChatGPT to follow the link and scrape and edit the text of the page. Of course, Chat doesn't do this because it's "not on the internet"...

I can't find a solution how to trigger an action in Zapier by following the link of the RSS feed and reading the text. What other options do I have to get the text and then send it to Chat CPT for editing?

https://www.presseportal.de/rss/rss2_vts.htx?w=public_service&q=telefonbetrug&langid=1

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there @inrema. Thanks so much for joining the Community here, really glad to have you here! 🙂 

Perhaps you could use the RSS by Zapier app for this. It has a New Item in Feed trigger which could be used to pull the news item from the RSS feed. That way the Zap could send the news item text directly to a ChatGPT action and ask it to produce an edited version of that text. 

You can learn more about how to trigger a Zap from RSS feeds here: Trigger Zaps from new RSS feed items

Does that sound like it could work or have I misunderstood what you’re wanting to achieve here?

The problem is that the RSS feed only shows a section of the article and not everything. And the RSS feed provides a URL to the article. So it must somehow be possible to follow the link and then read the text (automatically)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ah I see, thanks for clarifying that @inrema

Hmm, in that case perhaps you could use the Web Parser by Zapier app. Web Parser should be able to go the URL supplied by the RSS feed and get the content from the page. We have a guide on how to use Web Parser here: Use Web Parser to extract data from web pages

Can you give that a try and let me know if that works as hoped?