Question

QR triggers email to person who scanned it

• 9 January 2023
  • 2 replies

New to Zapier. I am looking for a way for a visitor at a trade show booth to scan a QR code, enter their email and get our company’s collateral material emailed directly to them. I’m trying to collect the emails and not print collateral material for four companies that will likely end up in a landfill. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @KellyStix72 

Good question.

At a minimum, you need a QR code that redirects to a form.

That form would be used to collected the desired contact details (e.g. email).

Then the submission of the form is what would trigger the Zap.

For reference, check out this Zap app trigger: Beaconstac - QR Code Scanned

https://zapier.com/apps/beaconstac/integrations

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @KellyStix72!

I think that the best way to do this would be to create a QR code that points to a form (as Troy suggested) but you can use any form as the trigger for the Zap (eg Google Forms, Typeform, etc). If you just want to send a one-off email then you can set up a Zap like this:

1. Trigger: New Form Response 
  2. Action: Gmail Send email

If you use Outlook, you can set up the same Zap using that instead of Gmail. 

If you’d like to add folks to a mailing list when they enter their email address, you could use something like Mailchimp. I’m happy to explain more about that if that’s what you’re looking for but I don’t want to confuse you by talking about things you don’t need right off the bat!

If you’re new to Zapier, this help guide explains how you can pass information between steps in your Zap (ie pass the email address from the form to the step that sends an email): Send data between steps by mapping fields.

A handy resource to help if you’re trying to understand if you can automate something with Zapier is the Community article Will it Zap? It gives you a step by step guide to work out if/how you can build a Zap to do what you need. 

​I hope that helps, please let us know if you have any questions!