Best answer

Outlook Calendar permissions too broad

• 9 October 2020
  • 4 replies

I’ve set up a ZAP to integrate my Outlook Calendar events with Google Calendar months ago but decided to turn it off due these broad access requirements:

• Read and write access to your email Zapier Outlook will be able to read, update, create and delete emails in your mailbox. It does not include permission to send emails.
  • Get full access to contacts Zapier Outlook will be able to read, update, create and delete contacts in their contact folders.
  • Zapier Outlook will be able to send emails like you.

I’ve checked today again and this security issue remains, so my question is:

• Whey those permissions are being required (full access to e-mail and contacts) ?
  • There’s no such way to restrict the Outlook permissions due the Outlook API implementation? or it’s a Zapier implementation issue?
icon

Best answer by steph.n 21 December 2020, 18:59

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi there @manasouza - Thanks for the feedback. At this time, we do not offer way to restrict or pick which permissions are for accessing. So that I can move your feedback to the right team, could you let me know what you’re trying to do with your Zap? This would be helpful context for our team to review. Thanks!

Sure @steph.n!

I created a Zap to create new calendar events in Google Calendar when a new event is created on Outlook calendar.
I’ve made that work in the past but the thing is that I feel not safe letting this Zap enabled due the too permissive requirements in the Outlook side (able to delete contacts, able to delete e-mails), i.e. things that seems to not be related to the task I wish to accomplish.

Hi @steph.n
It’s been a long time since I wrote this question but no clear answer was sent. Have you contacted any team about it?
Just to try to be more clear, what I meant was related to the following permissions:

• create and exclude e-mails
  • send e-mails
  • create and exclude contacts

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi there @manasouza - Thanks for writing back to us!

I understand your concerns here. Those permissions are by default for all who use the app and cannot be adjusted personally or with customization. If you have a spare account that does not have any important information in it that you could try to link it up with to give the Zap a try, that would be an option to consider so that you can review the performance of the Zap before installing and trying on your primary Outlook account.

There are no alternative solutions or finite adjustments of the permissions you see at this time. I apologize that I don’t have a better answer for you here.