Question

My Airtable currency field gets reformatted as a number within my Google Doc

• 7 September 2022
  • 2 replies

i have a Zap that creates a mail merge letter (thank you letter) for a donation to a nonprofit. my field in Airtable is a currency field with 2 places after the decimal. when the number goes through the Zap and into the Google doc, it loses that formatting & gets formatted just as a number. So a donation of $51.50 becomes $51.5, which obviously looks weird in a thank you letter.

i tried using Zapier’s number formatter to make sure that my field is formatted as currency, with 2 decimal places & the dollar sign, but it’s still removing the final zero(s).

Google docs does not seem to have field switches like Word does (F9) for mail merge fields, or at least i couldn’t find any instructions on the internet for that.

any ideas? thank you!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @AI_hello 

Good question.

Try using an Airtable Formula field to get the number in the desired format before it’s sent to the Zap.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @AI_hello!

Did Troy’s suggestion help here? You said that the field in Airtable was formatted as currency with 2 decimal places, but did adding a formula field help to keep it that way when it was passed to Zapier?

One way that you can troubleshoot this it to take a look at the data in and data out for each step of the Zap, you can find that in the Zap history. Find a Zap run for this Zap and open it so you can look at the data used in each step. For example, if the data out from the trigger step only has one decimal place, then we know it’s something that’s happening from the Airtable side of things. If the data has the correct number of decimal places in the data out for the trigger, look at the Google docs step to see what data is going into the step (does it have the correct number of decimal places) and wha the data out is. 

If the data into the Google Docs step is right, but the data out is wrong, that means that somewhere in the process of creating the document Google has changed the format. If that’s the case, you may have some luck if you’re able to convert the number into a text field. 

Let us know how you get on!