Best answer

Image cropping when auto posting to social media via AirTable

• 14 June 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Everyone - hope someone can help. 

I have set up my Airtable/Zapier for posting to social media.  The images have all been sized to the right dimensions for the platforms but when they are uploaded via automation from Zapier it is cropping vital information from the image e.g. my logo and also any writing at the top of the image.  The image is the right size and looks correct if I upload the same image manually.  

Can anyone help?

Many thanks

Sue

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 15 June 2022, 16:58

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Sue - VTA 

Good question.

1. Can you provide a specific example?
  2. What social media app is cropping the image?
  3. Can you show how your Zap steps are configured with the variables mapped from Airtable?
Userlevel 1

Hi Troy, Thanks for your reply.  Please see attached the screenshot from the post that was automated compared to the screenshot of the same post created manually to Facebook.  As you can see the automated post has posted so that the top title and crucial bottom part of the image is missing!

I have also attached a screenshot from Zapier

Any help you can give to solve this would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to automate my posting :)

Many thanks

Sue

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Sue - VTA

This may help: https://zapier.com/help/doc/common-problems-facebook-pages

The image pulled would depend on the following factors:

1. Facebook will first look at the link for Facebook’s OG (Open Graph) tags
  2. If #1 fails, it will scrape the page for another better link. Facebook will favor bigger images with a rectangle ratio.

Images that Facebook prefers:

• For high-res displays, use images that are at least: 1200 x 630
  • The minimum recommended image size is 600 x 315
  • Images smaller than 600 x 315 will be displayed, but thumbnail will be smaller
  • The absolute minimum image size is 200 x 200
  • Images under 200 x 200 will not be displayed and are logged as errors in the debugger.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi there, @Sue - VTA! I wanted to swing by and see if you were still needing assistance? We’d love to know. 🤗

Userlevel 1

Hi Christina, thanks for your check in!

I am just in the process of trying to resize some of my posts to a different size and seeing if that works without the cropping issue.

I will report back once tested!

Thanks

Sue

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Sue - VTA! Just checking in to see how things are going with getting those posts resized! Let us know how things are going on your end and if Troy’s suggestions were helpful. 🙂

Userlevel 1

Hiya Jesse

I tried resizing the images to the sizes and it appears to work now when testing.  I haven't set it to live as I don't have a paid plan and will exceed the step allowance

Thank you @Troy Tessalone for your help!  :) 😀 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Sue - VTA  this is great news! When you do set to live, we’ll be here incase anything else comes up. 🙂