Question

How to split comma separated text into additional line items using line itemizer?

• 2 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello! I am collecting registration data through Eventzilla and trying to use Zapier to separate the registration answers that come in as a string of text into line items. Using a comma as a separator works fine until a registrant uses a comma within one of their registration answers (within an individual field). This inherently creates additional items within the output which throws things off. It is not an option to change the registration questions within Eventzilla to be multiple choice, dropdown, etc.-- it needs to be a text box.

I read through some of the articles and tried replacing the comma with a semi-colon via Formatter > Text > Replace yet that method replaces the commas within the registrant’s answers with semi-colons as well, not just the commas separating the answers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @AlishaM 

Can you post examples of the text you are trying to split into line items w/ and w/o the extra commas?

Userlevel 1

Hi @AlishaM 

Can you post examples of the text you are trying to split into line items w/ and w/o the extra commas?

Hi Troy -- thanks for your speedy response. Here is an example: 

Inputs 6 and 7:

Outputs (after split text to line item):

My goal here is to still separate input items 6 and 7. They come in as a string of text separated by a comma. But I do not want the commas within input 6 to be separated into additional outputs (outputs: item 7 and 8).

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information. Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @AlishaM 

Check out this related Topic

Userlevel 1

Hi @AlishaM 

Check out this related Topic

Thanks Troy! In theory, this would work great, but for some reason I cannot get the step below to work. The output continues to come through with commas rather than the unique separator.