Question

How to reuse data from Zap History to debug a Zap?

• 11 March 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

When a Zap runs into an error it is great to see it but I'd really like to be able to take that error and turn it into a test instance and walk thru my zap step by step with the exact data that created the error to start. I do not want to blindly replay but want to go thru my zap like I was editing it to see the data at each stop before I manually go to the next. Is this possible? It is super tedious editing a zap and hoping that I can find and pick the data to use when testing it when just editing. I'd like to go from the failed zap back into the editor and pull along the errored out zap data as my test data. Is that possible or could this be added as a new feature? Basically I want to replay in "slow mo" then re-replay after I've fixed a possible error with the same data to see if the fix worked or not.

In my case I’m working with Eventbrite into Salesforce but this is a general question regardless. It is very tedious to recreate everything in Eventbrite to retest something (piece of cake using Google sheets but much harder using Eventbrite).

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @SVBC 

Did you check the Zap’s history? You will be able to find the error data there and manually put the content into the action step that threw the error and then test. It will take probably the same amount of time so I don’t think there is an easy of getting all the contents to where it threw the error.

Userlevel 1

Yes I did check the zap history as that is what I was reacting to. I can see the error data in the Zap history and manually put it into a new action step in a test zap, but I want to use ALL the data from the Zap run that failed as a set of test data to test a new version of the zap to verify that everything is working as expected. Error zaps are a great source for test cases to verify zaps, but Zapier insists on somewhat randomly picking its own set of test data to test a zap whereas I want to pick a known set that cause the zap to fail.

Sometimes I’m able to keep asking it to load additional examples and luck out in getting the one I want from a recent run but a lot of times it does not happen to retrieve the example set of data I really want. Reconstructing a new entry in the source system is a major pain and still might not get picked up so I can see the test data as I step thru my zap.