Best answer

How to pass event in GA4

Userlevel 1

Hey, I am trying to report an event in GA4 to mark conversions and I’ve used action “Create Conversion Event for a Property in Google Analytic” for this.

However, when I try to test it gives me error 

Failed to create a conversion event in Google Analytics 4

Oops! Something went wrong. Google may be having issues with their API - please try again later.

Anyone knows how to resolve this? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

icon

Best answer by ken.a 4 July 2023, 08:55

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @hedieh.ekhlas,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

I’m so sorry to hear about the troubles with your Zap.

I did some digging into this, and it seems like the error Oops! Something went wrong. Google may be having issues with their API - please try again later. you’re seeing is a known bug with the Google Analytics 4 integration. Our team is aware of the issue and is working on a fix. I've added your email address as another affected member. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track and prioritize fixes
  • Allows us to notify you via email if/when this is fixed

Unfortunately, I do not have an ETA, but I’ve added you to the list of members affected by this issue so we can let you know as soon as we have any updates.

I wish I have something better to show you. Let me know how I can assist you further. Always happy to lend a hand.

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

I have also the same problem. If possible, I would like to get some notification when it’s fixed.

xxxxx.xxxxx@gmail.com

thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @blocksite,

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re ran into the bug.

I have added you as another affected member to the open bug report. While we don’t have a timeframe on when this bug will get fixed. We will let you know via email once it is.

I appreciate your understanding.

Userlevel 1

I may or may not be running into the same problem.

A good start would be to show some error details. "Didn't work" is totally useless.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @rowe8L,

I'm really sorry to hear about the trouble this bug has been causing you. I've made sure to include you as another user affected by this issue in our bug report.

Just to give you a bit of context, the error you're encountering is known as a "500 Internal Server Error". This can occasionally occur when a server is dealing with a high volume of requests, if the data being transferred is too large, or due to a range of other factors.

Unfortunately, since this error is happening on the other app's side, we're unable to pinpoint the exact cause. But this error is logged and our team is aware of this and working on a resolution.

Thank you for your understanding.

Userlevel 1

Thanks, Ken! Just adding the http error code to the message would already be helpful (for us technical folks, I guess everybody else can just ignore it).

BTW, I got around the problem; in my case I had misunderstood the Google Analytics API. I tried to create the same dimension again, which of course failed after the first shot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @rowe8L,

Here’s the error code from the bug report:

{
"error": {
"code": 500,
"message": "Internal error encountered.",
"status": "INTERNAL"
}
}

Glad to hear you got around the issue, and sharing it to us. This will be helpful to our other awesome Community members if they come across with this issue.

Since the bug report is still open, if you came across the same problem again I’m afraid waiting for the update from our Google Analytics 4 team is the only way around here.

Thank you! 😊

Userlevel 1

We are experiencing the same error and have concluded after multiple tests that the issue lies in the fact that event names cannot be sent twice. When testing or live triggering a specified event name the first time it works as it should, but then any following event will throw an error.

If you add a unique variabele to the event name (e.g. date of submission) then it will keep working indefinitely, but this is not a solution for obvious reasons.

Please fix.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Phoenix Contact,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I have added you as another affected member to the open bug report. We will keep you in the loop via email once there’s an update with the bug.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Userlevel 1

I think this is on Google's end, i.e., Google doesn't allow you to add a new dimension with the same name as an existing one. I don't think Zapier can do anything about this (besides providing better / more detailed error messages).

It would be nice to have the option to bump a metric in Google Analytics, i.e, to use Zapier to increase the count of an already defined metric, though. Feature request! :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @rowe8L! 👋

Am I correct in thinking that you’re wanting to add events to existing conversion events? If so, there’s an existing feature request being discussed in Community which I’d be happy to add your vote to:

Just let us know if that’s what you’re after here and we’ll get your vote added to that feature request right away!

If that’s not what you’re after, then I’d recommend reaching out to our Support team with details of the desired functionality so they can get a feature request opened up for this on your behalf. 🙂

Userlevel 1

Thanks, @SamB! I got around my issue by working with the URL Google Analytics collects anyways, so I'm good here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ah I see, @rowe8L. Thanks for clarifying that. Glad you were able to get a workaround in place.

If you run into any further issues or questions at all just let us know. In the meantime, happy Zapping! ⚡

Userlevel 1

I am getting the same error. But the problem is that this option just creates a new conversion event. It does not report an event that happened, like it was doing with the Universal version. I am pretty sure this is what everyone is looking for. 

When will this be ready?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Alex Aviv! 👋

I can’t make any promises as to when the bug causing that error will be resolved by, or when the ability to add events to existing conversion events will be added. We’ve added you to the list of impacted users and have submitted your vote to the feature request being discussed over here: 

This will mean that you’ll be sent email notifications when the bug is fixed and when the feature request has been implemented.

For anyone who comes across this: if you’d like your vote to be added to that feature request too, please reach out on the main topic there, and we’ll get it added. We’ll use this topic here to keep track of folks running into the “Oops! Something went wrong. Google may be having issues with their API - please try again later.” error specifically.

When will this issue be resolved? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @Evertising! 🙂

We can’t give any ETA on when this issue with the Google Analytics 4 app will be resolved by. But I have added you to the list of affected users so we will definitely send you an email notification the minute it gets sorted out.

Hi there,
I would also like to be added to the list of affected users so I can receive an email notification once this issue is resolved. Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @mcn2023! 👋

Happy to confirm that I’ve added you to the list, so you’ll get the email notification as well. 🙂 

Please add me to the list, thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sure thing, @Vito M! You’ve been added to the list now, so you can expect a notification from us just as soon as this issue has been fixed. 

Same issue here, I’ve managed to get it kind of working logging unique names for the conversion event, however it’s already getting very messy in GA so a proper fix is essential.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for letting us know, @Erryn. I’ve added you to the list of users being impacted by this issue so we will notify you by email the moment it’s resolved. 

Hi @SamB is there any timeline on this? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there, @mcn2023! 🙂

Unfortunately I can’t provide a timeline or make any promises around when this issue might be resolved by. But you’re on the list so we’ll definitely reach out to you via email as soon as it’s sorted.

Not sure what plan you’re on, but if you’re on a paid plan it might be worth seeing if you’re able to either manually replay the errored Zap runs or (if on a Professional or higher plan) turn on AutoReplay to do that automatically. Hopefully that will help to get the errored runs of the Zap going through successfully in the meantime.🤞