Best answer

How to get Alexa (Echo Show) notifications of new ebay orders

• 10 January 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I’ve just come across Zapier after searching for a way of getting notifications on an Echo Show of new ebay orders. I’ve signed up and linked Zapier on Alexa Skills and tried to add a zap between the two but I can’t seem to get it to work. Not even a voice notification as I must be missing something out.

Can anyone tell me if it is at all possible to get the notifications on screen but if not, just the notification by asking Alexa if there are any new ebay orders or orders for that day etc?

I have got Zapier connected to my ebay account so I know that’s okay.

icon

Best answer by Danvers 14 January 2021, 14:50

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @18ME

The first thing to mention is that there are no actions for the Alexa Zapier integration, which means that you can’t use Zapier to directly send the notification to Alexa. In short, there’s no way to use Zapier alone to get notified when you have an eBay order or to ask Alexa to check if you have new orders. 

There may be a way to do this, but it gets more technical. If you’re interested in giving it a go, read on!

I’ve done some digging and it looks like there are a couple of ways to send a custom notification to Alexa. Both involve adding the ‘Notify Me’ skill to Alexa. It looks like you can work directly with Notify me if you’re using IFTT, but I don’t know if they have an ebay integration. Here’s an article explaining how to do that: How to trigger custom Alexa notifications from a smart home event As the name of the article suggests, it’s specifically addressing how to send a notification from a smart home device, but you could use the same principle to send any notification. 

I’m pretty sure that you can do this with Zapier using a webhook step (though that’s a more advanced set up). This article explains how you can send a webhook to notify me to make it send a notification to Alexa: Sending a Notification to Alexa when Netlify Builds Your Site

That means that theoretically, you could build a Zap that looks like this:

1. Trigger: eBay - New Order
  2. Action: Webhooks by Zapier (it looks like you can use a POST or PUT hook)
Userlevel 1

Hi,

Sorry I haven’t replied until now but I didn’t get any notification that I had a reply.

Thank you for your suggestions, I will give them a try.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @18ME, thanks for your reply and I’d love to know how you get on 🙂

If you’re not receiving notifications from the Community, there’s a couple of things that you can try:

1. Go to the settings page of your profile and make sure that any notifications that you’d like to receive are turned on
  2. You add notify@zapier.com to any approval lists you have in your inbox 

Thanks!