Question

How to find message in a specific THREAD // How to send message in a thread ONLY ONE

• 7 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi there ! I’m using Linear and Zapier to automatically send a message in a thread when a Linear ticket has been moved to status = DONE.

1. Trigger: Check for ticket updates (status = Done)
  2. Find the original slack thread 
  3. Post a message in the thread “hey this ticket was done”

The problem i have is that my trigger is “Any update with status = done”. A ticket can be updated several time  with status = Done (adding labels, commenting, etc) → Each of those updates trigger my zap.

I’d like to add an extra filter step: “IF already a message from zapier bot in this thread, THEN do not post”

Unfortunately, i don’t know how to search for a message from zapier bot in a specific thread.
(i’ve checked this but not sure how to use it)

Any other idea more than welcome :) 

Thanks a lot for your help !

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Babz 

One easy solution would be to log the messages/threads to a google sheet and have Zapier search the Google Sheet to see if Zapier bot has posted or not. 

So, after posting to the channel have a create row action in Zapier that adds the thread to a sheet. and after the find message action, search the google sheet to see if you’ve posted in that thread already, if not, have zapier post the channel message and log in the spreadsheet. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thanks @GetUWired !

@Babz were you able to try logging the messages to a Google Sheet and using the search Action?

Let us know if this did the trick!