Best answer

How to filter replies to a Slack thread based on contents of the original message thread?

• 28 May 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1

I’m trying to create a zap that automatically responds an out of office message to tickets that belong to me and are further commented on while I’m gone. I’m using Halp which is slack integrated. The slack integration structure is:

1. Message in channel w/ basic info including who the ticket is assigned to
  2. All subsequent discussion/comments regarding that ticket are made as replies in that thread

So basically what I want is:

1. When new messages are posted to the channel
  2. Check that the ticket is assigned to me (Which can be found in the original thread)
  3. Respond with Out of Office message

The only issue is that when threaded responses are created and then filtered, there’s obviously no data within that response detailing who’s assigned to the ticket. That can only be found in the parent/original thread.

I’m thinking it would be something like searching slack for the original message via something like the thread timestamp but that’s obviously not something Slack supports so I’m not sure how I would find that original thread in order to check who its assigned to. 

Not to mention Zap has a hard time picking up threaded replies as test data.

icon

Best answer by MarinaH 2 June 2021, 00:51

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hey @JohnDoe12345!

Looking at the available triggers for Slack here: https://zapier.com/apps/slack/integrations#triggers-and-actions - I am not seeing any triggers that are specific to new threads started.

However,  replies in the thread should still trigger any Zaps that start with the New Message Posted in Channel in Slack.

You could try out a Zap like this:

Trigger: New Message Posted in Channel in Slack

Action: Find Message in Slack (to find the original message)

Filter by message text contains xyz (your name for the ticket assignment)

Action: Send Channel Message in Slack with OOO text

I tried this out and the Find Message action seems to be able to find the original message on which the thread reply was started, by using the permalink in the search query like this: 

88f85523d0ba75d4d5bfe90a1d184012.png
(view larger)

Hope this helps!