Question

How to filter Slack channel messages from an app only?

• 7 April 2023
  • 7 replies

Current UI only allows filtering message from User or Bot. Not an App. Selecting User selects both App and users. I only want App

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @siddharth 

Welcome to the Community! Thanks for your interest in Zapier.

To help you further on this and be able to suggest workarounds, do you have a specific use case that I could help out with? If you can phrase it in the “When A happens in Service X, B should happen in Service Y” format, that’ll help me make sure I give you the best suggestion possible, so thank you in advance!

I want to make sure we're on the same page so I can point you in the right direction!

When App A posts message in slack channel C, post message in Google Sheet S.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @siddharth 

Thanks for sharing that information.

Could you also send screenshots of how you’ve configured the steps of your Zap so far? This would allow me to check further.

(If there’s any personal information, kindly blur them.)

Looking forward to your response!

As mentioned before i want to select an App instead of Bot or User.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey there @siddharth,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

Maybe we can try using Filter by Zapier, and filtering the name of the App for the Zap to only continue if the said App sends a message to the Slack channel. Here’s an example:

b8996d8515049adc9d6753d7fbacd6d7.png
(view larger)

Please give that a try, and keep us posted.

Thanks! 😊

It doesn’t work as the message from App doesn’t have user attributes

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @siddharth 

The filter step returned "Your Zap would not have continued" because the sample came from the trigger step. It doesn't mean that the Zap won't proceed.

Kindly put the app's name on the right side of the filter step. (ex. if the app is Zendesk, type Zendesk)