Skip to main content
Question

How to automate weekly WhatsApp messages with data from Google Sheets using Zapier?

• 17 May 2024
  • 3 replies

We are looking to set up weekly automated messages using Zapier. 

To do this, we want to use “Every Week in Schedule by Zapier” as a trigger to send these messages. The data we want to use (name and phone number) will be located in Google Sheets documents. So, there will not be a seperate trigger from Google Sheets, which makes me question the right way to set this up. 

In short, we want to send weekly automated messages to a fixed group of contacts (these contacts are in Sheets). The message we use for this can just be a template. In this template, we want the name and (i.e.) the week number to be custom data. 

In what way can we set this up correctly so the trigger is once a week, and from this trigger whatsapp messages are automatically sent using Whatsapp based on contact information from Google Sheets. 

Help would be highly appreciated.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi @Between-Jobs Approximately how many contacts do you need to send to every week?

Also, I assume you do not want to use Whatsapp Business API right? (the templates have to be pre approved by Meta and also need to pay per message)

Hi @fiona819, thank you for your reply. This would be 150 contacts at this point, and could grow to around 500 people. 

I am not sure if we have problems with using Whatsapp Business API. I am not too familiar with the different possibilies to be honest. 
We are looking for the most time and cost-efficient way of creating this. Suggestions would be very welcome. Also if this means we need to use other services.

Thank you Fiona.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@Between-Jobs Zapier only has this out of the box which I think it does not fulfill your use case. 

https://zapier.com/apps/google-sheets/integrations/whatsapp-notifications/1570261/send-whatsapp-notifications-for-new-or-updated-rows-in-google-sheets-team-drive
Let me find you some other options and send you. 
It is quite easy to construct the whatsapp link message in gsheet, but at your contact amount, you probably need a better third party tool. 

Is your message to your contacts pretty standard?