Question

How do I use SurveyMonkey and Monday.com to dynamically update columns based on unit numbers submitted in a form?

• 14 December 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello all, 

I am new here and excited to get this zap built. I’ve built others but this one needs a little more attention and I’m hoping someone can guide me to a solution. 

Quick Background: 

We use Monday.com to keep track of over 100 construction sites via 1 main board.  Each location’s name is just referenced as the unit #.  (Example below) 

Zap Goal:

1. User fills out form via survey monkey for the site they are updating then submits the form. 
  2. Form data is fed to Zapier and updates Monday columns of existing units based off the unit number the user typed in the form in previous step. 

I believe i need a dynamic item ID in order for step 2 to work. 

Current Zap:

1. Trigger when new form is submitted in Survey monkey, notify with answers.
  2. Action POST in Webhooks runs and pulls item_id data since it’s not a default option in step 3 (this is the step i need help with)
  3. Action Update multiple column values in Monday.com. (not sure what to put in Item ID)(unit number from the form should determine which item ID to update)

I hope this is enough information, I feel like I am very close to getting this solved. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Cheers, 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Aaron E. 

Good question.

Step 3, Item ID expects the Item ID returned from Step 2, which will be a number as indicated by the 123 icon.

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

Thanks for the response! 

While trying to figure this out it looks like Monday updated their API to version 2023-10. I re-wrote the query in the new format and had to pass the API version through the header as well. 

https://developer.monday.com/api-reference/docs/items-page-by-column-values

Is it still possible to update columns of existing items based on item name?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Aaron E. 

Is it still possible to update columns of existing items based on item name?

Are you trying to use the Monday API or a Monday Zap action step?

in a Monday Zap action step this field will expect the Monday Item ID which is a number.

@Troy Tessalone 

Monday Zap with webhook app

I was following your guide on “How to use the Monday GraphQL API in Zaps with the Webhooks App”. Which helped me out greatly btw, thank you for making it.

I was able to resolve the issue and finally able to return results from step 2 (webhook) to step 3 (Monday item ID field)

Initially, I wasn’t able to get any results from the query to put in webhooks app because Monday changed the items_by_column_values → items_page_by_colunm_values. They also now require you to pass the APi version ‘2023-10” through the header.  In the guide you are only required to enter “content-type” and “authorization”.

This is how my query ended up looking and is now working.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That’s great news @Aaron E.! Thanks so much for sharing details on how you were able to get that POST request to the Monday.com API working, it’s most appreciated! 🤗

And a big shout out to Troy for his help here and for that super helpful guide - nice one! 👏👏👏

Sounds like you’re all set for now but please do reach back out if you need assistance on anything else.