Question

How do I trigger Zapier using a web-based calendar instead of Google Calendar?

• 26 September 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi!  Per my Subject, I’m trying to read game events in a calendar in a Wordpress web site as triggers to have EZ Texting send info from the Event entry by text to a distribution list.

When I enter test events in my personal Google Calendar, they are properly retrieved and subsequently texted, so the Zapier Trigger and Action seem to work.  I now just need to redirect my Trigger to read this web-based calendar instead of my personal Google Calendar.  just pasting the URL of the Calendar tab from the web site into the trigger source.

When I try to change Account from “Google Calendar tslyonsnj@gmail.com” I don’t have another Google account to turn to.  I experimented a bit  trying to structure the site as an RSS feed, but haven’t had success there either.

Any thoughts?   Thanks very much in advance for any guidance.

Tom Lyons

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @tslyons 

Good question.

Can you subscribe to the Calendar feed as part of your GCal account as a new calendar?

https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/37100?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

Thanks for the quick response, Tony.  I was indeed able to connect my GCalendar to the web site calendar by URL and I see the web calendar appear in the “Calendar” field of the Trigger step (Account remains “Google Calendar tslyonsnj@gmail.com”.

But when I ask the dialog to “Find new records” the only return is a “Test Event” record with an “ID” of 12345.  It doesn’t pick up event records that I can see are in the web site calendar.

I’ve figured out a work-around in that once I’ve linked my GCalendar to the web site calendar, I can save each event to my Calendar, and then the Zap works. it’s an OK solution, but not quite as automated as I had envisioned.  I’d still like to try to get Zapier Google Event to read the event entries natively on the web site if you have any ideas for follow up or further troubleshooting.

Thanks again,

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @tslyons,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

Sometimes, the initial test in Zapier might not pick up the latest events. Ensure you've clicked on “Find new records” after setting up the trigger to see if it fetches the latest events.

Additionally, Zapier will not pick up events that are in the past. Ensure the events you're trying to fetch are upcoming events. More about that here: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8495906143373

Hopefully, this helps.