Question

How do I name a Google Drive image file with a Slack text message?

• 25 October 2023
  • 11 replies

I have a zap that will upload an image to Google Drive that is posted to a certain channel within my Slack group. My employees will upload an image with “CUSTOMERNAME JOB####” to the post. Is it possible to have my zap name the image file “CUSTOMERNAME JOB####” when it uploads the file into google drive? 

I see the field where I can choose the name of the file, but I do not see a way to select the slack text message as the file name. 

Thank you! 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Lilliane 

Good question.

We would need to see screenshot with how your Zap steps are configured.

Under “File Name” I do not see any data from the post. It just seems to pull in data from the image file that was submitted, which makes sense. 

If I change “new file” to “new message” I can see the message that was posted, but I can not upload the image. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Lilliane 

If the file was submitted as it’s own message in Slack that may be why.

Here is what is posted into slack. I would love to get the green circled “message” to be the file name (instead of IMG_4374) once it gets uploaded to Google Drive. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Lilliane 

Try mapping the Text variable.

There is no text variable 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Lilliane 

Can you show screenshots with the data points returned from the Zap step?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Lilliane 

Ah ok, this is where I was getting confused.

The Zap step name and event don’t match.

The Zap trigger for Slack New File will only have info about the file.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Lilliane 

You may want to consider setting up a form for people to submit to capture the file and data points in a structured manner.

Maybe even look into Slack Workflows.

https://slack.com/help/articles/17542172840595-Create-a-new-workflow-in-Slack