Question

How do I move specific files to specific folders in Google Drive

• 4 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I am wanting to take a specifically named file from one folder and copy it to another folder (specifically named as well) in google drive but i cant seem to find a way to make it work? Any suggestions?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @AndrewAUS,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Here is how I see the Zap for the workflow that you have in mind:

1. Trigger: Google Drive - New File in Folder
  2. Action: Google Drive - Copy File - The Zap will then copy that file to another specific folder in Google Drive.

Would this help you out? Please let me know if you need more information or details regarding the suggested workflow. Also, for more ideas, you might find it useful to explore other suggested workflows for Google Drive on our integrations page: https://zapier.com/apps/google-drive/integrations.

Hopefully, this points you to the right direction! 😊

Userlevel 1

Hi Ken.a

Thanks for this. The challenge i have is to move a specific file (Eg Andrew.pdf) into a specific folder (eg Andrew folder). Inside the original source folder is many files with all identifying names, we need to move them into their specifically named folders. Its not just simply moving one file to one folder kinda thing. Does this make sense?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @AndrewAUS,

Thanks for the clarification!

Maybe you can try setting up your Zap like this:

1. Trigger: Google Drive - New File or New File in Folder
  2. Action: Google Drive - Find a File
  3. Action: Google Drive - Find a Folder
  4. Action: Google Drive - Upload File

Please note that this workflow is only possible as long as the folder name field is returned by the trigger. If not, maybe you can try using a Lookup Table. If you’ve not used lookup tables in Zaps before I’d recommend giving our Create lookup tables in Zaps guide a read through to learn more about how to set that up.

Additionally, you may contact our certified Zapier Experts to help you streamline your workflow and help you with your setup. You may reach our Zapier Experts here: https://zapier.com/experts

Hopefully, this helps! 😊