Skip to main content
Question

How do I mention an entire Microsoft Teams channel to trigger pop-up notifications?

I have read all the posts in the community forum including this post How do you mention a channel in Microsoft Teams action? | Zapier Community which says that you can now mention a channel or a team.

I have tried various combinations of enclosing the name of the channel in <at> tags, or <channel> tags or combining both <at><channel> however none of these work.

I have been looking for instructions on this but either there are none or they have escaped my search so far.

So, my question is simply, If I have a MS Teams Channel in a Team called “AWS” how do I create a mention for it that would cause a pop-up notification for all the channel members?

Hi @reidca

No updates on that feature request but I did just come across a workaround for how to post a message to a private channel in Microsoft Teams by sending an email. Which made me wonder...could you use that same approach to @mention a channel via an email action instead? 🤔

Here’s the details of the workaround in case you’d like to give it a try:

If you have an email address enabled for your private channel, you can send an email to that address, and this will post to the Teams channel.

If this "Email Address" functionality is available for your channel, then you could also use one of our "Send Email" actions instead of the MS Teams action, using one of the popular email providers such as Gmail, Outlook, Zoho Mail, or our own Email By Zapier.

If you do try it out please let me if it works as hoped! 🙂

Hi Sam, I appreciate the follow up. The issue here will be the same as in the original issue - the lack of ability to mention the channel. I am able to post messages to a channel - indeed we have this setup now. But there is no option to “mention” the channel which means unless a channel member pro-actively visits a channel they would not be aware of the post. 

Our use case is alerting on cost anomalies therefore it is important we have this alert/notification functionality. 

Thanks

Carl

Thanks for getting back to me @reidca. Darn! I was really hoping you might be able to include the @mention directly within the email message itself. I’m so sorry to hear that’s not going to be possible either.

I’ll continue to keep an eye out for any other potential solutions while we’re still waiting on these channel @mentions to be fully supported.