Best answer

How do I maintain mapping order in Zapier when adding a new column to a Google Sheets Zap?

• 14 February 2024
  • 2 replies

After mapping a set of (say 10) columns to a Zap that adds a row to a Google Sheets workbook, I find I need to insert a previously omitted column so I can join order and payment information by Order-id.  Do I have to re-map all the fields, as it seems the proper mapping is not retained?  Or am I missing something in terms of turning the Zap off and on when modifying the columns to get the presentation order I desire?  Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 14 February 2024, 05:23

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @tslyons 

I’d recommend using Airtable instead of GSheets to avoid this issue.

Help article about using GSheet to reference: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496276985101-Work-with-Google-Sheets-in-Zaps

Turn your Zap off before making changes to your sheet

The following changes to a sheet while a Zap is switched on can cause a disconnect with your Zap:

• Deleting existing rows or columns
  • Adding rows anywhere other than to the bottom of your sheet
  • Resorting the sheet
  • Renaming/adding/rearranging new columns
  • Renaming your Sheet or worksheets within the Sheet

If you need to make any of those types of changes to your Google Sheet, you will need to turn your Zap off while you make the change, and then turn it back on again after.

miscEye icon Note

If you rename your Sheet and/or worksheet(s) within the Sheet, you'll need to reselect them in the Zap Editor to update to the new names.

Once you’ve set your sheet up you’re ready to continue setting up the rest of your Zap, whether that’s setting up your action, or adding a search step.

Thanks for your prompt reply, Troy.  Much appreciated.  I had read the cautions regarding Zaps and changes, but was led astray a bit by the inclusion of “renaming/rearranging/adding new columns” in the advisory.

I have already re-mapped the columns in my Zap, but will take a look at Airtable as an alternative to Sheets to avoid the issue going forward.

Thanks again.