Question

How do I link a new OneNote note in Notion with a preview after creating it for a new Notion database item?

• 21 December 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I’m trying to create a bit complicated integration of OneNote and Notion.

I have a database of courses, where each course has a database of notes.

Each note in a course is a page that represents a class in the course.

Because of the lack of support of handwriting in Notion, I want to write most of my class notes in OneNote and link them to my Notion note.

Basically the flow of my integration should be:

New Notion db item (new note in a course’s notes db) → new OneNote note in a section → link the OneNote note in the previously created Notion db item, with a snapshot of the note (embedded preview or something).

I managed to create the first two steps quite easily, but the last step is a bit complicated.

The most I could get to is link the OneNote note’s OneDrive link. But the OneDrive preview I guess doesn’t work for a OneNote notebook, as it simply shows the link in an embedded form but not a preview:

Any suggestions?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @YechiamWe! 👋

Hmm, I know there’s a Create Image Note action for OneNote which would embed an image inside a note but I think you’d have to supply a link to the image so that’s likely not quite right for what you’re after here. Does the New Note in Section (OneNote) trigger output the text included in the note?

If so, perhaps you could add that text into the content of the database item that you’re adding into Notion and then linking to OneNote?

Not ideal but at least you’d be able to see the contents of the note within Notion that way. Do you think that approach could work?

Userlevel 1

Hi there @YechiamWe! 👋

Hmm, I know there’s a Create Image Note action for OneNote which would embed an image inside a note but I think you’d have to supply a link to the image so that’s likely not quite right for what you’re after here. Does the New Note in Section (OneNote) trigger output the text included in the note?

If so, perhaps you could add that text into the content of the database item that you’re adding into Notion and then linking to OneNote?

Not ideal but at least you’d be able to see the contents of the note within Notion that way. Do you think that approach could work?

Hi Sam, thanks for replying :) 

Unfortunately, even if the New Note in Section would output the text included (which I don't think it will, because how would Zapier know the output if I'm editing the note and not creating a new one?), I don't require normal text - I use the OneNote note for handwriting.

The overall idea is to mitigate the lack of support for handwriting in Notion using OneNote notes, where the handwriting support is amazing. So I'd want to link my handwritten notes back to the Notion item, with a preview of the note. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ah I see, thanks for clarifying that @YechiamWe. And happy new year to you! 🙂

I’ve been doing some further digging and it seems that for this to work you’d need the Notion app to support the unfurling of links to the OneNote note. See Unfurl attribute (Link Previews). I couldn’t see any existing feature requests for this functionality to be added on our side, so I’d recommend contacting our Support team about this. They’ll be able to open up a new feature request for this functionality to be added to the Notion app on Zapier. 

Sorry to not have a more immediate solution to suggest here. If we come across any workarounds for this in the meantime we’ll be sure to share them with you here!