Question

How do I automate weekly "journal prompts" via email with Zapier?

• 16 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I'd like to send an automated email each week to one recipient with a different prompt each week that I could then compile responses to at the end of the year. A journal of sorts, if you will. Note: I currently have questions in Google Sheets (or can easily be added to an excel spreadsheet).

I'd also like for the recipient to be able to edit their responses once submitted, if possible. Is this something I could use the Zapier platform for? If so, what steps would I need to take?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there @elpostel, welcome to the Community! 🎉 

Yes, that sort of workflow is indeed possible to set up with Zapier! 🙂

I’d suggest setting up that uses Schedule by Zapier for the trigger to run it every week at on certain day/time. Then in a Lookup Spreadsheet Row (Google Sheets) action you’d take the date that’s output by the Schedule Trigger and use that as the value to search for. If you add a column to the existing spreadsheet containing the dates you’d like the question to be sent that should allow the Zap to find a match for the date it’s given. Then you could add a Send Email action for an email app like Gmail for example to send the recipient the question contained in the spreadsheet row that was found. In the email message you can include a link to the form.

For the form and editing of responses you could use Zapier Interfaces and Tables. Take a look at our Employee Availability Form Interfaces Template to test out an example of form that after filling it out it redirects the recipient to a page where they can edit all their previously submitted responses.

For example:
2c36310b0b1de21c81f14646bf5aa649.png

Not sure how new you are to using Zapier but thought you might find the following help guides get you started on this:

Hope that helps to get you pointed in the right direction. If you run into any issues on setting that up just let us know - always happy to help further!

Userlevel 1

Wow!!  Thank you!  This is super helpful and seems to be straight forward.  I will need to get into the system and play with this.  Don’t be surprised if I have more questions once I get into it 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You are most welcome @elpostel! 🤗 

Both me and the rest of the Community here are always around if you run into any further questions or get stuck at all. In the meantime, happy Zapping! ⚡