Question

How do I add new attendees to all events added to a specific Google Calendar

• 16 June 2023
  • 11 replies

I am finding that when I set this up it works for the test and then I’ve been adding new events in the calendar and it’s not working for them. 

Been following this post but not sure if I’ve set it up correctly: 

Could someone share step by step actions for Google Calendar with screenshots as I am not sure I have done the custom ID element correctly. 

Or maybe I can’t set it up for ALL calendar invites, I’m not sure. 

Thanks for your help!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @TheGoodBusinessClub, thanks for joining the Community!

All events or specific events?
If you want to add new attendees to all new events added to a specific calendar you’d use the New Event trigger for Google Calendar. If you want to add attendees to only certain kinds of events you’d select the New Event Matching Search trigger.

For example if you only wanted to add attendees to your “team meeting” events the trigger settings would look like this:
eaa83e141d658816bb42adfa44ea23c2.png

Selecting the ID for the event
In order to add attendees to the same event that triggers the Zap, you’ll need to select the Custom value option and select the ID field from the Google Calendar trigger in the Zap. For example:
e010d4f622ccfac9eeb33365ca17f208.png

You can find out more about using the custom value option to select ID’s here: Add custom values to dropdown menu fields in Zaps

Adding the attendees

Then in the Attendee/s field you’d add in a list of email address for the people you want to invite to the event:
0af9f2f104dd6be47ee0aacd08345b09.png

Hope that helps to clarify things here. If you run into any issues on that just let us know, happy to help further! 🙂

Thanks Sam for clarifying that I should be able to set up a Zap for all events. 

I will try this again now. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You’re welcome @TheGoodBusinessClub! 😁

Please do keep us in the loop on how you get on with this. Keen to ensure you’re all set! 

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Hey @SamB 

I have gone down the ‘New Event’ route and am stuck at the last hurdle. It’s asking for which ‘Event’ I want to update. I want it to update ALL events, not a specific one. 

Thanks for your assistance here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ah I see, @TheGoodBusinessClub!

When I said “If you want to add new attendees to all new events added to a specific calendar you’d use the New Event trigger for Google Calendar.” I meant that the Zap would trigger for all types of events that are added to the calendar, using that trigger. The Zap would trigger on each event individually and add the attendees to the event. Sorry for not being clearer on that previously!

Is it more that you’re looking to add the attendees to a recurring event, and want the attendees to be added to all of it’s associated events? 

I don’t think I follow @SamB.

What I would like is that every time an event is added to one of my calendars, it always adds my two other business calendars as attendees so that they are always in synch. 

I’m not looking at current events in my calendar, but ones that will be added moving forward. At the moment I am doing this manually every time an event is added to one of my calendars and am looking for an automated solution. 

Is this something that is possible, or not?

Some of the events may we’ll be recurring but most are one-off. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sorry for any confusion caused by my previous reply, @TheGoodBusinessClub

To confirm, the Zap would indeed trigger on any new event that’s added and then add the selected attendees, which would add the event to the calendars associated with those email addresses.

In order for the Zap to do that, in the Event Field (Add Attendee/s to Event action) you need to select the ID field from the trigger step, as mentioned in my first reply. With the ID field selected, the ID will be specific to the event that triggers the Zap. It won’t be updating the exact same event every time the Zap runs.

Hope that helps to clarify. Can you give that a try then turn the Zap on and create a couple of test events to check it works as expected?

Okay I think I’ve followed the steps correctly. It’s asking to transfer data over before testing it out. Is that necessary to set it up? And do I have to do anything specifically there?

I just tested out 4 events and it still isn’t working @SamB 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @TheGoodBusinessClub - thanks for testing that out. Sorry to hear it’s still not working!

In order to test both the trigger and action setup, you’re right! You’ll need to connect to your GMail account and load sample data. Most of the time the sample data is live so the zap has the most accurate information to map into the next step.

Since you tested a few events though it sounds like the trigger worked, is that right? Are you not seeing the Add Eventee invite in those inboxes? Or are you seeing an error anywhere in the setup?

Are you able to share a screenshot of your action setup (with any personal details removed)? That may help the community troubleshoot with you. 🙂

Hope some of that helps and eager to get this working for you!

Hello @SamB @christina.d it looks like there is just a delay as now all the events I tested have worked. 

I’ll see how it works live as and when events get added to my calendar this week and will update at the end of the week, or come back if I have any issues. 

Thank you for your support. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Yay! I’m so pleased to hear those tests worked, @TheGoodBusinessClub! 🎉

Fingers crossed it continues to work well for you. Always happy to help if you run into any issues going forward though! 🙂