Best answer

How can you record PayPal transactions in a Zap if you're already using the IPN?

• 6 November 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

To set up a Zap that triggers from PayPal, you need to add the webhook provide by the Zap's trigger action in PayPal's Instant Payment Notification (IPN) section. You can learn more about the IPN settings in PayPal in this help doc from PayPal.

Many users are already using the IPN for another purpose, like managing ecommerce software, and so can't use it for Zapier.

Is this something that folks have come across and do you have any suggestions for workarounds?

icon

Best answer by Danvers 7 November 2019, 10:28

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It's a nightmare really... with WooCommerce and Shopify especially - with those, even if you do set the Zapier URL as your IPN, it gets dynamically overwritten at the time of purchase.

When I went through this last, the client contacted PayPal and was told that they use the PayPal dev platform to build some sort of IPN router... but we never pursued it.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Not sure if relevant or not, but Webflow has just rolled out a big improvement to their Paypal functionality which may circumvent this problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@ChrisP Ooh, interesting! Are you able to elaborate more on that when you have a moment?

Userlevel 7
Badge

@jesse I havent used it yet, but here's the announcement:

PayPal Checkout for Ecommerce is officially here

I must say, Webflow is looking like a more and more compelling alternative to Wordpress. Hope to build something soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@ChrisP www.luhhu.com is built in Webflow 🤗

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Interesting Webflow announcement!

The other way that I could think of working round this would be to set up email notifications from PayPal and use an email Parser trigger to pull out the details of the transactions for the Zap.

If you needed the information as line items, you could then use the Formatter by Zapier app to transfer the individual items into line items.

Userlevel 5

I'll just leave this here:

https://wordpress-vs.webflow.io/