Best answer

How can I remove contacts from Facebook Custom Audience when their interests change or they unsubscribe?

• 14 July 2023
  • 4 replies

I have set up a Zap from my CRM to Facebook Custom Audiences.  This has worked great.  The problem is that I can’t figure out how to remove someone from that same custom audience when the interest no longer applies.  Basically it seems like me Audiences will grow indefinitely.

This is bad for 2 main reasons.  #1 - if they unsubscribe based on spam laws I have to remove them, #2 - it will create a massive waste of ad budget, retargeting people with things that don’t apply.

Does anyone know how to do this?

icon

Best answer by SamB 10 October 2023, 15:07

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @VDB 

Good question.

That would likely involve this Zap action: Facebook Custom Audiences - API Request

I thought that may be it.  However the real question is how do we use that to create the removal.

I’ve run across this post elsewhere from @Ryan M  that I think might help.

when I go to add an HTTP Delete there are many options and I’m unsure how to properly set it up.:

URL

Query string parameters

Additional request headers

body

@Ryan M 

Zapier, Here’s the API details.  FB’s API does allow and update method.  Please add this for everyone’s sanity.

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/marketing-api/reference/custom-audience/

Updating

If a person opted out of being targeted, you must remove the person from all custom audiences containing this person. To opt-out a person from audience after they have clicked through to your opt-out URL, make an HTTP DELETE call to:

https://graph.facebook.com/<API_VERSION>/act_<AD_ACCOUNT_ID>/usersofanyaudience

Provide the same fields as you do in a user update.

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/marketing-api/reference/custom-audience/users/

another vote for this feature! It’s greatly needed!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi folks! 👋

@VDB and @rosij009 - there’s a existing feature request for this being discussed in Community here:

I’ve gone ahead and added your votes to that feature request. I can’t make any promises as to when or if it would be added but we’ll be sure to email you both the minute a “Remove” action becomes available with the Facebook Custom Audiences app.

Until then your best best would be to use the API Request (Beta) action Troy mentioned to make a request to the Facebook API endpoint that Ryan M referenced in the other topic. It’s a more advanced type of action so I’d recommend checking out our Create an API Request in your Zaps for more details.

Since we’ve already got one topic in Community that’s tracking interest in being able to remove a member from a custom audience I’m going to close this one out. For anyone that would also like to see this feature added please reach out on the main thread for it and we’ll be happy to add your vote to as well. 🙂