Best answer

Harvest to Freshbooks not transferring task or time

• 11 February 2021
  • 4 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

I’m using Harvest to track my time (it’s much easier to use than what Freshbooks offers). The zap works….in that it adds new blank time entries in Freshbooks. But there are no tasks or duration assigned. I’ve tried using Freshbooks tasks, but they’re numbers and whatever you select, that’s what shows up. No matter which task you selected in Harvest (and I’ve named them the same things in both tools). I even tried using Harvest’s Task name but that threw an error. I also can’t seem to get Freshbooks to pull in the duration. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Because right now, I have harvest open while I add my time to freshbooks. And zapier is rendered useless at this point, since it doesn’t transfer anything.

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 19 February 2021, 21:50

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @tiggertiffin87 :slight_smile:

It sounds like you have two issues:

1. You can’t match the task in Harvest to the task in Freshbooks
  2. You can’t add the duration of the time into Freshbooks

Have I got that right?

For the first point, this might seem like an obvious point, but just in case - you need to use the Create Time Entry action and not the Create Task action. If you’re already using the Create Time Entry action, then it’s likely that the part that’s causing trouble is matching the task in Harvest to the task in Freshbooks. You’ll need to be able to match the ID/name of the task in Harvest to the ID of the task in Freshbooks. There are a few different ways that you can do that, the most common way is to use the Formatter by Zapier app to create a Lookup table. The Lookup table can match the task in Harvest to the relevant task ID in Freshbooks. You then use the output of the Lookup table in the Fresbooks step to tell Freshbooks which task it needs to add the time to. 

For the second point, you should get the duration of the time entry from Harvest. I’ve not used Harvest myself, but you should see a field called ‘Hours’ in the information that you get from the New Timesheet Entry trigger. You can then add this into the Create Time Entry action under the ‘Hours’ field there. 

I hope that gets you pointed in the right direction. If you’re still having trouble it’s likely that the Support Team will need to take a closer look at your Zap with you. If that’s the case, then the best way to get in touch with them is using the Get Help form: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Thanks for the response.

Formatter doesn’t look like it will help me match tasks either. It only seems to care about Harvest data and not about matching it with Freshbooks data.

As for the time, I’ve tried both Hours and Hours without Timer options that are available for Harvest and neither one seems to work. :(

I figured out a way to transfer data. I can still use Harvest to track time (it’s much easier to use than the Freshbooks offer one.) At the end of the week instead of initializing an invoice in Freshbooks, I’ll use Harvest and transfer the invoice and then send it to the client. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @tiggertiffin87!

Glad you figured out something that works for you :)