Question

Google Forms - Sending Gmail with Attachments

• 25 October 2022
  • 5 replies

I have a google form that collects architecture review request information. I want the completed form e-mailed to a specific set of recipients for review. I connected my form to an action, but why can’t it interpret and send the completed form data just as it appears in the completed form (same sequence, etc.) without having to select each field? (Which by the way do not appear in the same chronological order as in the Google Form).

When I did individually select and embed the form fields it shows the field name, but when the e-mail is sent the form field names are absent.

I also have the ability in my Google form to attach documents (PDF, Images, etc.). I am not seeing how to collect and send those via Zapier. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @D2fly 

Good question.

The Gmail Send Email template will need to be configured in the Zap step.

Mapped variables will only populate with the variable value, not the variable label.

GForm responses need to be saved to a linked GSheet.

Make sure to review the available help articles for using GForms in Zaps: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8495997101581-Common-Problems-with-Google-Forms

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @D2fly checking in to see if you had any other questions we can help you out with? Everything going okay with the recommendation from Troy above?

Hi @D2fly 

Good question.

The Gmail Send Email template will need to be configured in the Zap step.

Mapped variables will only populate with the variable value, not the variable label.

GForm responses need to be saved to a linked GSheet.

Make sure to review the available help articles for using GForms in Zaps: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8495997101581-Common-Problems-with-Google-Forms

I hadn’t seen Troy’s advice until now. When I created the Zap, I created it linking to the google form. Noticing as I said in my original question, that the field names didn’t populate to the e-mail body, I selected the field values that I thought should be in the e-mail and then manually added the field NAME text in front of the selected fields.

I would have expected however that the fields would be in order as they appear on the google form, but they are not. It makes it difficult to search around and get them in the order that they appear on the google form. 

I have a google sheet attached to the google form, yes. I am not sure yet on exactly how to get what I am looking for. I will try to do a Zap from the sheet, but I am not sure what good the google form is, if one is expected to only use the google sheet to populate the body of the e-mail.

1. Do I need to link to a form or just the google sheet?
  2. Need help understanding how my google form attachments will or will not come through in the Zapier-created e-mail

So, using the google spreadsheet, the fields are listed in order. I am in the process of testing the attachment issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @D2fly Sorry for all of the trouble on this one! You’re right, the app functionality can feel a bit redundant between Forms and Sheets. We have forms as a separate app as not everyone creates a sheet from there form or understands this is possible, so we have a “Forms” app to try to help others find the solutions they need, quickly. 

I am so glad to hear that switching to Sheets seems to have done the trick! Let us know how things are going with your attachments and if their URLs are coming across to your sheet. If so, depending on the app you’re wanting to sent them to, you may be able to convert the URLs back to files. 

Keep us posted - we want to make sure you’re good to go here!