Question

Google Drive Public Folder

• 9 December 2020
  • 8 replies

I’m trying to create a Zap that triggers on a new file in my Google Drive Public Folder.  The test step seems to work during the create phase but nothing I seem to do will actually trigger the Zap after it’s turned on (ie: running  the Zap manually after new files are uploaded to the folder).

The same Zap using Dropbox works as expected.

Any ideas? Thanks!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

FYI: GDrive triggers are NOT instant, meaning the Zaps can take from 1-15 minutes to fire depending on your Zapier plan.

Also, see this help article:

Not all my files are triggering my new file in folder Zap.

The New File in Folder trigger has some nuance about what it will trigger on:

Google Files (e.g. Google Doc, Google Sheets etc)

• If a file was created within the folder, the Zap will trigger
  • If a file was modified fewer than 4 days ago and moved to the folder, the Zap will trigger
  • If a file was modified greater than 4 days ago and moved to the folder, the Zap won't trigger

Non-Google files (e.g. pdf or jpg):

• If a file is directly added to the folder, the Zap will trigger
  • If a file is moved to the folder (even if it was added to Google Drive in the last 4 days), the Zap won't trigger

Also, you can't trigger or act upon a folder shared with you, so files added to folders you don't own will not trigger the Zap. The connected account must be the owner.

I’m not 100% sure, but I think the issue is the timestamp of the file being moved into the folder.  For testing, I was just picking some random (old) files in my workstation’s Download folder.  When I created a new file and uploaded it, the trigger fired as expected.  Even though these are “Non-Google Files”, it seems the 4 day criteria still applies.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@EPate - circling back to make sure you got sorted with this configuration! Were you able to move forward?

Following this as well! 

I have the same issue, though it will typically pick up the files when testing in the zap editor, but it won’t fire when the zap is actually turned on. And yes, the account used in the Zap is the owner of the folder.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Jeff Hug!

Did you see the help article that @Troy Tessalone suggested above? Not all my files are triggering my new file in folder Zap. 

Do any of the circumstances that Troy described apply for you?
The New File in Folder trigger has some nuance about what it will trigger on:

Google Files (e.g. Google Doc, Google Sheets etc)

• If a file was created within the folder, the Zap will trigger
  • If a file was modified fewer than 4 days ago and moved to the folder, the Zap will trigger
  • If a file was modified greater than 4 days ago and moved to the folder, the Zap won't trigger

Non-Google files (e.g. pdf or jpg):

• If a file is directly added to the folder, the Zap will trigger
  • If a file is moved to the folder (even if it was added to Google Drive in the last 4 days), the Zap won't trigger

If it doesn’t look like any of those factors are at play, then the best thing to do is to contact the Zapier Support team so that they can take a closer look at your Zap with you. You can do that using the Get Help form: https://zapier.com/app/get-help 

I hope that helps!

Hi @Danvers. Yes, I saw that post, it’s related content, and similar discussions. The scenarios don’t apply and I’ve done testing around different file formats and creation dates. Very inconsistent (and mostly failing) results.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Ah, gotcha @Jeff Hug. Thanks for letting me know and I’m sorry that you weren’t able to find what you need for this. It sounds like the Support team is going to be your best bet here.