Best answer

Gmail to OneDrive - Need File Attachment Renamed to "From Email"

• 18 September 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi guys! Very new to Zapier but I run a company where we need to collect a lot of receipts and other misc docs from employees that live in other cities that we don’t interface with often. There is a language barrier so we thought texting a receipt to a gmail account where it automatically transfers the doc to the company’s shared OneDrive would be ideal. 

In testing it, it seems to work great in terms of getting the picture to onedrive, but ideally we would love to know who sent the document without having to log into gmail. If I select customize file - attachment (exists but not shown) and leave the next field file name only blank - I have no issue with getting the file in the folder. It just renames to whatever the pic name is within their phone. If I select File Name - From Email, it doesn’t save the picture, it just saves the contact info as a MS-DOS application that won’t even open on my PC. 

Any advice on how to work around this would be so very appreciated!

Thanks,

Sarah

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 18 September 2020, 20:03

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Please provide screenshots of how your Zap step is configured as that may give us a better visual of what you’re trying to do and where the issue is, thanks.

Thanks for your help. It’s only when file name is blank that attachment saves properly. When renaming to email it saves as msdos application that can’t be opened on PC or Mac. Thanks! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hunch is that the OneDrive file name can’t include special characters such as @ which is part of an email address.
You could test this by trying to create a dummy file in OneDrive with a file name that is in the format of an email.

Otherwise, the issue could be that no file extension is being provided as part of the File Name (e.g. .pdf).

I was able to rename another file to same ####@vzwpix.com so don’t think that’s the issue...and that makes sense on your other explanation. Feel like there must be some workaround regarding this though.

It does the same thing when I try to rename the file to anything else like the date. It only seems to work when the file name field is either blank or I select “attachments filename” or “attachments (exists but not shown)”. Thanks for trying! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @SarahL20 

Just checking in. Did you get sorted in the end?