Best answer

Duplicate Task in Notion when when adding a Label to an email in Gmail

• 1 July 2023
  • 8 replies

Hello community, I am looking to create a zap that allows me to send to Notion (like a task) the first email of a chain of emails when I add a tag to it.

To determine if an email is new I search in the notion DB for the email url

Continued only if is False

Which if it is a new email I add it to Notion so it can determine if the task exists or not and so it is not repeated.

If the task does not exist, I create it adding the url of the email as a new property so that it can be compared in the following searches to avoid duplicates.

The problem is that despite the filters I have added, at least 2 duplicate tasks are created

In an email with 5 replies, I managed to filter 3 and 3 tasks were created in Notion (the ones shown as Stopped).

What could I add to avoid this behavior and get only one task per email?

Thanks and Best regards.

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 1 July 2023, 19:15

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Valar 

Good question.

Instead, try using the Thread ID as the unique value for an email thread to avoid duplicates.

Hi Troy, thanks for the reply, I changed the identifier to Thread ID and looked for an email with many replies (24) the result was that I was able to filter 21 of these replies but 3 replies went through and 3 tasks were created in Notion from the same email.

Any additional ideas?

Thanks and Best regards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Valar 

You may need to add a Delay After Queue step.

https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496288754829#delay-after-queue

Thank you Troy, after which step do you think I should add a dealy after a queue and I imagine that a few seconds is enough?

Best regards

Thanks Troy for the help the Delay helped me to finish the configuration, in the end I put it after looking for a new label as a second step, and it worked. Only send one task even if the email has multiple replies.

This is the configuration I use for the Delay:

Maybe it will help someone else, thank you very much for everything.

Hi community, just a quick query for all notion+gmail users and moderators, so far I have reviewed multiple ways to perform this same action and currently this one is the only one that has worked for me, however for an email with about 20 responses the number of tasks is very large reaching 26, I would like to propose to create a new feature that allows you to perform this task in a simpler way, an action to tag an email but only send the first response.

Thanks and Best regards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Valar 

Feedback and feature requests can be submitted via a ticket to Zapier Support to be logged:

Thanks Troy