Best answer

Creating a Zap based on G-mail Subject AND First word of text

• 14 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you firstly to this community.

As part of an e-mail campaign I’m trying to ensure that people are on the Monthly Mailing List. So I’m sending an e-mail saying “hey, are you also on our monthly news mailing list”. Please reply YES to this e-mail and we’ll make sure you stay connected.

So I was doing a Zap based on the G-Mail subject but then I also want to check that they wrote yes then it would apply a tag in my Drip E-mail.

Because I have the word yes in the main e-mail which they are replying to I can’t just say “content includes YES”. I need it to be the first word of this e-mail is YES.

I’m pretty confident that Gmail filter doesn’t allow it but want about E-Mail parser or something?

Also open to other strategies!

icon

Best answer by sallyoz 14 November 2023, 22:15

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @sallyoz 

Good question.

Why not create a simple form that you can link to from the email that prefills their email address and lets them select yes/no.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes, I really didn’t want to do a form again because Drip told me they can’t ‘prefill’ their e-mail address and I thought simply replying was the most user friendly and personal. I feel like I have forms going all the time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@sallyoz 

Try this…

In the sent email make sure to include some sort of unique content (e.g. signature) that you can split by.

In the email reply from the user then you can split by the unique content (e.g. signature) and analyze the reply data before the unique content to determine if it includes a “yes”.

Zap action: Formatter > Text > Split (keep the first segment)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks so much - I ended up using Email Parser by Zapier. Truncating it and send truncated e-mail back to gmail and then a different zap to then connect with Drip. Maybe a bit long winded but it worked and I learnt a few things.

Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That’s great news @sallyoz! We’re glad to hear using Email Parser by Zapier worked for you!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 😊