Best answer

Copy Google Sheets comments when making a copy of the file

• 18 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Is there a way to copy both the actually spreadsheet and the comments contained within that spreadsheet using a Zap?

I’ve tried duplicating the spreadsheet using both the Google Drive Copy File option and the Google Sheets Create Spreadsheet option but the comments don’t come through.

I’m not seeing an option to make this work but we use comments to explain to clients how to complete each column so I’m hoping there’s a way. 🤞🏼

icon

Best answer by SamB 18 April 2023, 12:16

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community, @ewagner

You’re quite right, those Google Drive and Google Sheets actions don’t have the ability to copy the comments right now. There’s an existing feature request open for Google Drive app to have the ability to copy the comments as well. Which I’ve gone and submitted your vote for so that we can notify you (by email) the minute that becomes possible.

I’m not seeing any existing feature requests for the Google Sheets app to allow comments to be copied as well. So you may want to reach out to our Support team to request that they open up a feature request for that on your behalf. 

In the meantime, it looks like there’s an option to copy the comments when making a copy in Google Sheets directly:
60e38474f6391dd5bdafe1e946caca59.png

Not an ideal workaround I know as it involves manually making a copy of the spreadsheet but would ensure that the comments are definitely copied over. If we discover a better workaround for this in the meantime we’ll be sure to share it with you here!

Userlevel 1

Thanks, @SamB! I appreciate you adding me to the existing request. We are aware of the ability to copy the comments when duplicating the file directly in Google Drive...just hoping to automate more of our processes.

For now, I think we’re going to create a separate tab in the template file with instructions so that we don’t have to worry about the comments for now. That said, it’s not ideal for our clients to need to go back and for between tabs to for those explanations/instructions.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @ewagner 

We appreciate your understanding, but we guarantee that once the feature request has been added to the app, we will notify you! 😊