Question

Convert email sent to Gmail into SMS

• 27 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

i have managed to create a zap that will sms me when i receive an email. i did this by linking like this: 

Gmail logo

Trigger

1. New Email in Gmail

SMS by Zapier logo

Action

2. Send SMS in SMS by Zapier

however the sms i recieve is a set text and i would like it to give me some info about the content of the new email.

any offers?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @researcher, thanks for joining the Community here! 

It sounds like you’re you looking to extract specific information from your Gmail emails, to use in the SMS that gets sent. Is that correct? 

If so, you might be better off forwarding those Gmail emails to an email parsing app like Email Parser by Zapier and using that app to trigger the Zap instead. You’d be able to set up templates for Email Parser that would allow it to automatically extract certain bits of information out into separate fields. You could then select those fields in the Send SMS action to customise the SMS with the information from the email. You can find out more about how to work with Email Parser here: Trigger Zaps from new parsed emails

Hope that helps to point you in the right direction. If I’ve misunderstood what you’re after here please let me know! 🙂

Userlevel 1

i see what your saying and would like to give it a go. I want to know how i would customise the SMS with the information from the email because the 

2. Send SMS in SMS by Zapier

app doesnt give me an option to automatically customise the sms differently every time

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @researcher,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

Thank you for your interest in giving it a try. You can “customise” the sms message by mapping the extracted data from the Email Parser step. Here’s an example of what it will look like in the “Message” field:

80ab0cf1998eddcd06e00cc1e7a5f7ef.png
(view larger)

Additionally, I would like to add a helpful Community post regarding the Email Parser by Zapier app:

Hopefully, this helps! 😊