Best answer

Can I use Zapier to create a unique project number in Asana? I'd like to trigger that on a form submission.

Userlevel 1

I know more about Asana than Zapier. I’m trying to figure out how to get some Asana shortcomings handled by Zapier. 

My projects come into Asana via a request form submission. Can I have Zapier populate a project number field? For project number I am currently using a 6 digit number that is incremented with a delimiter and a 2-digit year.

Is this something that Zapier can do?

icon

Best answer by christina.d 21 June 2022, 00:27

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Trish in SF 

Good question.

Storage by Zapier can be used.

Set an initial value, then each time the Zap Runs increment this value.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hey @Trish in SF! I just wanted to pop in here and see if you were able to implement Troy’s recommendation to use Storage by Zapier? Let us know if you need any other help or if this answered your question 🙂

Userlevel 1

@TamRazzleDazzle Hi, I’m a little lost. Brand new at this. But it sounds promising. I don’t know how to call these functions. Can I trigger this increment when an asana request form is submitted? And can I get that number added to the asana project? Can I also (I’m getting piggish now) append a 3 character string indicating project type to that number? thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Trish in SF 

Yes all that is possible.

Action: Asana - Update Task

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Trish in SF!

As Troy said, all of this sounds possible, but there are some fiddly bits that may take a bit of tweaking to get right. First things first, could you let us know what kind of form you’re currently using, and does that add a new Project or a new Task in Asana? If we know that we can get a better picture of how your Zap will start. 

Let’s also get you up to speed with Storage and increments, because they’re not intuitive to use. Start by watching the Zapier university video on this help guide as it explains what the Storage by Zapier app is and how it works. Then check out this help guide as it explains how to use Storage to make an incremental counter (eg something that adds +1 to a value each time your Zap runs). 

Userlevel 1

@Trish in SF @Danvers  - 

the form being used is attached to a project in Asana and for each new form entry, Asana creates a new task which is then multi-homed to a project of the same name. the project is then built out so that the work can be completed. 

video watching is coming, next. 

Userlevel 1

@Danvers 

Thanks for your response. I asked Gayle to join me in this conversation. She is in my org and knows more about how things are actually set up in asana.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks for the extra detail @SF Gayle 🙂

Can I check my understanding of what you explained and what you need? What currently happens is:

1. An Asana-created form is submitted, which creates a new task in Asana. 
  2. That also creates a new project, which the task is added to
  3. You then manually add the other necessary tasks in the same project

Is that right? Or is it that Asana creates the Task and you move it to a new Project? Or does Asana create the Project and the Task at the same time when the form is submitted? If I’ve not understood that properly could you lay out what currently happens and what you’d like to happen step by step so I can make sure that we’re on the same page before suggesting ideas. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there! I wanted to swing by and summarize some steps to get us started in the right direction. 🤗

Troy recommended using Storage to populate a project number field by using the “Set Value” and “Increment Value” actions.

Danvers came in clutch with some resources to help set this up:

Start by watching the Zapier university video on this help guide as it explains what the Storage by Zapier app is and how it works. Then check out this help guide as it explains how to use Storage to make an incremental counter (eg something that adds +1 to a value each time your Zap runs). 

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 1

@Danvers @Trish in SF: finally responding.

1. A request is created and the corresponding task is added to the premiere project (we call it a dashboard)
  2. A new project is created based on the request including the production calendar for the asset(s).
  3. The original request task is multi-homed to the new project and both are assigned to the creative producer with the project manager maintaining full-oversite of everything in progress. 

For the project numbers, we are currently using a spreadsheet and update the task/project in Asana with a number. We are looking for Zapier to assign the project number when the request is created and testing the storage suggestion to see if that accomplishes what we need.