Question

Automate Creating a Branded Report from Survey

• 11 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi. I would like to use Zapier to automate generating a branded document made up of individual survey data but I’m struggling to figure out how. 

Ideally it would look like: 

User fills Google Form
Zapier fetches Google Doc template
Zapier places user responses into a newly created template document

Is this possible?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @J8900 

Good question.

Check out this related Zapier article: https://zapier.com/blog/create-autopopulate-google-docs-template/

Userlevel 1

Thanks. This makes sense. However I can’t seem to select a template from the dropdown menu (step 11) as I don’t have any set up. I’m using a personal Google account and it seems like templates can only be created in a Workspace account. 

Any idea?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@J8900 

First configure a GDoc with the desired {{placeholders}}.

Then you can try using the ‘Custom’ mapping option to input a static value for the GDoc ID that is being used as the GDoc Template.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there @J8900

Looks like Troy is correct, you’ll need to get those placeholders added to the Google Document.

I just wanted to share a link to a tutorial on the Zapier blog that talks about how to create and autopopulate a Google Docs template. It’s a bit old so the screenshots in that tutorial are a little out of date, but the steps to follow for the “How to automatically create a document from a template” section should be pretty much the same. Hopefully that will help in setting up the Google Document so you can select it in the Zap. 

Please do let us know how you get on with this! 🙂